• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

With/by headphones

If we talk about like mobile phones, we normally use headphones or earphones to listen to songs and to talk to others by phones.
    Here can we say "by headphones" or "with headphones"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

re: With/by headphones

UM Chakma, please stop hijacking other people's threads with your own questions. Just because your question had something to do with the word "by", that doesn't make it relevant to the thread about the microphone. Your connections are very tenuous. Please start a new thread for your own questions.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Re: With/by headphones

This might be my 3rd time making the same mistake. Why can't I find if my question is related or not to other threads? I of-course could have started a new thread but I really joined there as I thought it would be easier for everyone. This case is starting to make me quite disappointed in myself.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

not a teacher

Both "with headphones" and "through headphones" are common for this meaning: "I like to work while listening to music with/through headphones".
    Whereas, "Some people don't like the sense of isolation created by headphones".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Or more simply "use" - One of my daughters prefers to use headphones to listen to music, but my other daughter prefers to use the smaller ear buds.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Or more simply "use" - One of my daughters prefers to use headphones to listen to music, but my other daughter prefers to use the smaller ear buds.

Got. It means I can say I am talking using my headphone, can't I?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You need a microphone to talk, not headphones.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by UM Chakma View Post
    This might be my 3rd time making the same mistake. Why can't I find if my question is related or not to other threads? I of-course could have started a new thread but I really joined there as I thought it would be easier for everyone. This case is starting to make me quite disappointed in myself.
    The thread you posted in was talking about the phrase "by/with/using a microphone". If your question had been something like "Can I also use "through a microphone"?" then I would have left it there because it would have been connected. The OP was asking about the correct preposition to use with "microphone" so if your question had been about roughly the same thing, it would have stayed. The OP didn't even know if "by" was correct so adding a question where not only did you not know if "by" was correct but you also changed the main word really moved it a long way from being connected. You need to consider whether the inclusion of your question will add anything to the original question and help the original poster any further.

Having two different questions in the same thread definitely doesn't make it easier for everyone. What we end up with is a thread where some people are answering the original question and some are answering your question. It then becomes very difficult to go through the thread and see a logical progression of responses.

I suggest that, for the foreseeable future, you always start a new thread for your own questions.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 01-Sep-2013 at 12:10.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by UM Chakma View Post
    Got. It means I can say I am talking using my headphone, can't I?
    A headset consists of headphones and a mike.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    not a teacher

Both "with headphones" and "through headphones" are common for this meaning: "I like to work while listening to music with/through headphones".
    Whereas, "Some people don't like the sense of isolation created by headphones".
    Do you use on headphones- you hear it in BrE.