• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

• Post Thanks / Like

as if

1- He looks as if he knew the answer = (He doesn't know the answer).

2- He looks as if he knows the answer = (We don't know whether he knows the answer or not).

3- He looked as if he knew the answer = (The meaning of this sentence (whether he knew the answer or not) can only be understood from the context, it may be the back shift both of the sentences 1 and 2).

4- I was taught that we couldn't use a past perfect for a past unreal comparison. That is;

-She looked as if she was rich, but she wasn’t. (NOT … as if she had been rich).

However, I have been searching for this structure, and I have seen people use 'past perfect tense' in this structure. I don't know whom to believe. For this reason, I am asking if past perfect tense is used or not. For example;

-She acts as if/as though nothing had changed between us, but everything has changed.

-She acted as if/as though nothing had changed between us, but everything had changed.

I am sure #1 and 2# are OK but not sure #3 and #4. Could you please explain to me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: as if

To me, she looked as if she had been rich suggests that she was no longer rich at that time, but there were signs of earlier wealth- maybe she was wearing expensive clothes that were worn and a bit shabby, etc.