Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please, tell whether both of the following sentences are correct. If incorrect, please correct.

To be honest, lies must never be told.
To be honest, you must never tell a lie/lies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please, tell whether both of the following sentences are correct. If incorrect, please correct.

To be honest, lies must never be told.
To be honest, you must never tell a lie/lies.

"To be honest" has a quite specific usage in BrE. It means "OK, I am going to tell you the truth now ..." or something similar. In your sentences, I think you want it to mean "In order to be an honest person". It really doesn't work like that because anyone who hears the words "To be honest" will be expecting something very different to come after it.

Jim: Would you like a cup of coffee?
Jane: No thanks.
Jim: Oh, go on, I've made a fresh pot. It's very nice.
Jane: No, really, I'm OK.
Jim: I'll pour you one anyway.
Jane: To be honest, I really hate coffee. Please don't give me a cup!

Peter: Are you going to Sarah's party on Saturday night?
Lucy: I'm not sure. To be honest, I don't get on with some of the other girls who are going.

If you want it to mean "In order to be [considered] an honest person" then you would need to say something like "To be an honest person, you must never tell lies".

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If you want it to mean "In order to be [considered] an honest person" then you would need to say something like "To be an honest person, you must never tell lies".
To OP:
And this illustrates the problem with using the passive voice in sentences like this in general. To be an honest person it is you who must not tell lies. It is not a requirement that lies not be told at all.
"To be a bullfighter, bulls must be fought." True, but it's you who must fight them. This leads to another objection:
The passive (here) tends to make 'lies' or 'bulls' the subject of the first clause:
"To be honest, lies must not be told." = Lies can be honest, but only if they remain untold. I can't even explain the 'bull' sentence, but it seems to impose conditions on bulls who want to become bullfighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.