• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

could, may or might?

In the following text, what is the most appropriate modal verb, could, may or might?

Everyone knows how it is important to do physical exercise regularly, since it improves your health, helps you to losses weight and lifts your mood. However, most people either hate sport or never have time to play it. Someone might/could/may say that this behaviour is not only a pretext to do nothing. Whatever the truth, the problem remains.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: could, may or might?

Quote Originally Posted by Elisāngela Lopes da Silva View Post
    In the following text, what is the most appropriate modal verb, could, may or might?

Everyone knows how it is important to do physical exercise regularly, since it improves your health, helps you to losses weight and lifts your mood. However, most people either hate sport or never have time to play it. Someone might/could/may say that this behaviour is not only a pretext to do nothing. Whatever the truth, the problem remains.
    I'd choose 'might' > may > could

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Elisāngela Lopes da Silva View Post

Everyone knows how it is important how important it is OR that it is important to do physical exercise regularly, since it improves your health, helps you to losses lose weight and lifts your mood. However, most people either hate sport or never have time to play it. Someone Some might say that this behaviour is not only simply/only a pretext an excuse to do nothing. Whatever the truth, the problem remains.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks, ems. The "not only" was really bothering me, because I didn't know what the "but also" part was supposed to be.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.