• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

as/while

Hi,
    Can we use "as" in the second example instead of "while"? If not, could someone please explain why and is there any preference which to use in this context?
    Thank you.

1. Maria cleaned the kitchen while I did the bathroom. (2 simultaneius actions)
    2. Maria cleaned the kitchen as I did the bathroom. (2 simultaneous actions)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: as/while

1 means she cleaned the kitchen at the same time as I cleaned the bathroom.
    2 can also mean that she cleaned the kitchen in the same way that I cleaned the bathroom.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by vasea1977 View Post
    Hi,
    Can we use "as" in the second example instead of "while"? If not, could someone please explain why and is there any preference which to use in this context?
    Thank you.

1. Maria cleaned the kitchen while I did the bathroom. (2 simultaneius actions)
    2. Maria cleaned the kitchen as I did the bathroom. (2 simultaneous actions)
    I know that you asked a question about "as" and "while" in another thread. In those examples, 2 simultaneous actions were indicated. But you have to be careful with these conjunctions. As Rover indicated, the "as" clause can have two meanings. The "while" clause can also have two meanings. That sentence can mean "at the same time I did the bathroom", but it can also mean "whereas (indicating contrast) I did the bathroom" (not necessarily at the same time).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If you want to use "as" for two simultaneous actions in your example, you're not likely to find that the two actions are the same:

As I walked through the front door, Mary was cleaning the bathroom.
    As Mary came out of the bathroom, I came out of the kitchen.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.