• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Make sentence

Any errors in this sentence:

1) As of today, the US government must acknowledge that the economy is in recession, and the Federal Reserve must quickly respond to the financial crisis with appropriate fiscal stimulus.

2) After many years gone by, his artwork finally begins to be acknowledged by the general public.

Or, sentence 1 sounds more effective without "to the financial crisis" :

As of today, the US government must acknowledge that the economy is in recession, and the Federal Reserve must quickly respond with appropriate fiscal stimulus.

For sentence 1: Since I already mention the economy is in trouble, so the the second main clause doesn't need to mention it again. right?

For Sentence 2: Does "to be acknowledged" sounds little awkward. Any suggestions?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Make sentence

Quote Originally Posted by needenglishhelp View Post
    Any errors in this sentence:

1) As of today, the US government must acknowledge that the economy is in recession, and the Federal Reserve must quickly respond to the financial crisis with appropriate fiscal stimulus.
    It's correct with or without that phrase. You are right in that the sentence will be tighter if you omit it.

2) After many years gone by, his artwork finally begins to be acknowledged by the general public.
    After many years, his art is finally being appreciated by the general public. (now)
    After many years, his art finally began to be appreciated by the general public. (then)

Or, sentence 1 sounds more effective without "to the financial crisis" :

As of today, the US government must acknowledge that the economy is in recession, and the Federal Reserve must quickly respond with appropriate fiscal stimulus.

For sentence 1: Since I already mention the economy is in trouble, so the the second main clause doesn't need to mention it again. right?

For Sentence 2: Does "to be acknowledged" sounds little awkward. Any suggestions?

See above
    Last edited by 5jj; 03-Sep-2013 at 06:10. Reason: typo
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.