[Grammar] "I don't know nothing." Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have been wondering if a sentence like "I don't know nothing" is correct, because I have heard many actors speaking in this way. Grammatically speaking, "I don't know anything" should be correct, shouldn't it? So I guess speaking like this reflects character's academic background or something in a story.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been wondering if a sentence like "I don't know nothing" is correct, because I have heard many actors speaking in this way. Grammatically speaking, "I don't know anything" should be correct, shouldn't it? So I guess speaking like this reflects character's academic background or something in a story.

Don't get too excited about movie English or music lyric English. "I don't know nothing" is incorrect.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Sorry for butting in. Can't "I don't know nothing" imply that I know something?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry for butting in. Can't "I don't know nothing" imply that I know something?

It can, but I estimate that 98% of the time it's used, it's the non-standard usage meaning "I don't know anything."

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for the comments. What I'm concerned about the most is whether this expression is associated with speaker's social status, personality or intellectual level. As far as I know, a person who plays a role of a high official, a lawyer, a doctor and etc. rarely speaks in this way.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Type 'I don't know nothing' in the Google Custom S(earch) box near the top of the page. You will find links to previous answers to your question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for the comments. What I'm concerned about the most is whether this expression is associated with speaker's social status, personality or intellectual level.

Some people will make such associations, others won't. It's a common form, but non-standard. To be honest, it's so common in movies that I wouldn't make any such association, but if I saw it in a piece of formal writing, I would be surprised.

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Your comment is quite helpful. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for the comments. What I'm concerned about the most is whether this expression is associated with speaker's social status, personality or intellectual level. As far as I know, a person who plays a role of a high official, a layer, a doctor and etc. rarely speaks in this way.

I assume you meant "lawyer" unless carpet layers etc have now become "high officials".

mogu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
That's right. Thank you for proofreading.

austinado

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Venezuela
Current Location
Venezuela
Youve probably heard it but its not correct. I think it was somebody using slang ot something like that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You've probably heard it but it's not correct. I think it was somebody using slang [strike]ot[/strike] or something like that.

Austinado, whilst we appreciate your attempts to help, there were already several responses from native speakers, none of which suggested that it was slang. Make sure that you read all the other responses before you post your own. In addition, see the amendments I made to your post above in red.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
austinado, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Thank you.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.