Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I've found water dripping from my upstairs neighbour's airconditioner to ours for the recent days. Is it natural for me to talk the neighbour using a present continiuos tense as follows:

Hi, I am your downstairs neighbour . It seems that water is dripping down from your air-conditioner to ours.

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've found water dripping from my upstairs neighbour's airconditioner to ours for the recent days. Is it natural for me to talk the neighbour using a present continiuos tense as follows:

Hi, I am your downstairs neighbour . It seems that water is dripping down from your air-conditioner to ours.

Thanks.

Yes, that's OK.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, that's OK.

Thanks, bhai.

Is it natural for me to talk the neighbour using a present tense as follows:

Hi, I am your downstairs neighbour . It seems that water drips down from your air-conditioner to ours.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks, bhai.

Hi, I am your downstairs neighbour . It seems that water drips down from your air-conditioner to ours.

It's OK but I prefer the version with the continuous.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You could omit 'down'.

Can you think why?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is water dripping from his air conditioner to your air conditioner? Cause that's what "ours" means in that sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, bhai.

Using the present tense suggests a habitual action: Every morning at 9am, water drips from your air conditioner onto ours.
The use of the present continuous suggests that it is happening right now (it is unclear whether it has been happening for some time): Water is dripping from your air conditioner onto ours.
If you want to suggest that it's happening now and has been doing so for some time, try "Water constantly drips from your AC onto ours" or "Water has been dripping from your AC onto ours for several weeks".

You will note that I have used "onto", not "to" before "ours". I have also assumed that the water is landing on your AC unit.

Also note that you don't really have to specify that it's water. If you said "Your AC is dripping onto ours", they would know what you meant. If it were dripping something other than water, then you might want to specify.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is water dripping from his air conditioner to your air conditioner? Cause that's what "ours" means in that sentence.

Thanks, SoothingDave.

Yes.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Using the present tense suggests a habitual action: Every morning at 9am, water drips from your air conditioner onto ours.
The use of the present continuous suggests that it is happening right now (it is unclear whether it has been happening for some time): Water is dripping from your air conditioner onto ours.
If you want to suggest that it's happening now and has been doing so for some time, try "Water constantly drips from your AC onto ours" or "Water has been dripping from your AC onto ours for several weeks".

You will note that I have used "onto", not "to" before "ours". I have also assumed that the water is landing on your AC unit.

Also note that you don't really have to specify that it's water. If you said "Your AC is dripping onto ours", they would know what you meant. If it were dripping something other than water, then you might want to specify.

Thanks, ems.

If I met my neighbour, who lives alone, on the street, I assume there's no water dripping from his conditoners at that moment.

Other than "Water constantly drips from your AC onto ours" or "Water has been dripping from your AC onto ours for several weeks", is it incorrect to use a present continiuos tense as follows?

Water is dripping from your air-conditioner onto ours.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, ems.

If I met my neighbour, who lives alone, on the street, I assume there's no water dripping from his conditoners at that moment.

Other than "Water constantly drips from your AC onto ours" or "Water has been dripping from your AC onto ours for several weeks", is it incorrect to use a present continiuos tense as follows?

Water is dripping from your air-conditioner onto ours.

If you want to say that when you meet him on the street when, as you said yourself, you assume there is no water dripping from his AC, then it would be incorrect to say "Water is dripping from your AC onto ours" because that suggests that it is dripping right now, as you say the words. Perhaps "Water keeps dripping from your AC to ours" would be better at that point. That shows that it has been happening regularly and, by using "keeps", shows that you assume it is still happening.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you want to say that when you meet him on the street when, as you said yourself, you assume there is no water dripping from his AC, then it would be incorrect to say "Water is dripping from your AC onto ours" because that suggests that it is dripping right now, as you say the words.
I don't agree. The present continuous is frequently used for something that has a limited duration around the present moment. It does not have to be actually going on at the present moment.

I am reading 'War and Peace'. I began reading a week ago, and I'm about halfway through. of couse, my nose is not in the book at this moment, as you can see.

You are keeping me awake at night with your saxophone practice. - Said to my neighbour when we are chatting over the garden fence in the early afternoon.

Water is dripping from your AC onto ours. - Said to my neighbour when we are chatting in the hallway in the early afternoon. It does not have to be dripping at the moment of speaking.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yup. Absolutely right, 5jj. :oops:

Status