Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance.
I can't talk with you. I believe this is used when someone doesn't really want to talk with someone. Perhaps there might be no reasons but might be kind of ignoring someone.

Are they okay in those context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really [STRIKE]unable[/STRIKE] impossible to talk [STRIKE]because of[/STRIKE] for some reason(s), perhaps a network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance (check the definition of this word. It does not mean that you are ignoring someone. You need something else here.)

I can't talk with you. I believe this is used when someone doesn't really want to talk with someone. Perhaps there might be no reasons but they might be kind of ignoring someone.

Are they okay in those contexts?

See my amendments and comments above in red.

I see no difference in meaning. If someone said "I can't talk to you/I am unable to talk to you" I would not know if they meant their phone was broken, the network was down, they were busy, they found the idea of talking to me physically repellent or they had no tongue! I would need more information to know why they said it.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Oh no! I made so many mistakes. Okay! how about "negligence" in place of ignorance?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh no! I made so many mistakes. Okay! how about "negligence" in place of ignorance?

No. "Negligence" doesn't work there either. That means that someone has not taken suitable precautions to look after someone or something or has not taken reasonable measures to ensure their welfare. What sort of behaviour were you trying to describe when you said "ignorance" and then "negligence"?

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
No. "Negligence" doesn't work there either. That means that someone has not taken suitable precautions to look after someone or something or has not taken reasonable measures to ensure their welfare. What sort of behaviour were you trying to describe when you said "ignorance" and then "negligence"?

I meant there that just because I say to someone that I am unable to talk doesn't mean that I do not like him/her or I do not want to talk him/her. Let me rewrite the sentence; I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance(Here I want to say that I do not mean that I do not like him/her).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant there that just because I say to someone that I am unable to talk doesn't mean that I do not like him/her or I do not want to talk him/her. Let me rewrite the sentence; I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance(Here I want to say that I do not mean that I do not like him/her).

No. You have used "ignorance" again. I already told you that doesn't mean what you think it means. Have you checked the definition in a dictionary?

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I did check. I didn't use it again I just rewrote my first sentence(I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance.) to show you that for which meaning I had added it(ignorance).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I did check. I didn't use it again I just rewrote my first sentence(I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance.) to show you that for which meaning I had added it(ignorance).

This is what you put in post #5:

"Let me rewrite the sentence; I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance(Here I want to say that I do not mean that I do not like him/her).

I assumed that the words after "Let me rewrite the sentence" were the rewritten ones. I don't know why you keep putting "ignorance (here I want to say that I do not mean that I do not like him/her)". Why do you think that "ignorance/ignorant" has anything to do with not liking someone?

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I think I am poor to find the word that I want to express what I mean to say. Perhaps dictionary will help me. I will have to find suitable word. Ignorance and negligence don't seem to work in that context.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have already told you that neither "ignorance" nor "negligence" work. The only phrase I can think of that comes close to meaning "It's not that I don't like you" or "It's not that I'm ignoring you" is "I'm not just being rude" but even that isn't exact.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Here I get surprised. You also have used "ignoring". Can I ask one question? Does "Ignore" mean that someone doesn't like someone? Eg: He ignored(doesn't like her anymore also does not want to keep any relation) his girlfriend. I do no know if I have jumped to an unrelated question.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I am unable to talk with you. I believe this is used when it's really unable to talk because of some reasons. Perhaps network problem or being busy but it doesn't mean ignorance.
I can't talk with you. I believe this is used when someone doesn't really want to talk with someone. Perhaps there might be no reasons but might be kind of ignoring someone.

Are they okay in those context?

I took "ignoring someone" from your very first post, example sentence #2.

I think we are getting a long way from the point here. The answer to your most basic question is that saying "I am unable to talk to/with you" means the same as "I can't talk to/with you" and neither of them suggests a reason for the inability to talk.

To ignore = to refuse to talk to someone or even to acknowledge their existence
Ignorant = unaware of the facts or stupid
To be rude = to behave in an unacceptable manner towards someone, usually verbally but sometimes with a silent action.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was guessing that you were confusing "ignore" with "ignorance." I can't think of what the noun form that means "the act of ignoring" but ignorance is a completely different word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was guessing that you were confusing "ignore" with "ignorance." I can't think of what the noun form that means "the act of ignoring" but ignorance is a completely different word.

That's what I was getting at in post #2 but later on, the OP said that he had checked the definition of the word "ignorance". I can't think of a noun form connected to "to ignore".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
However, as ems said, there really is no difference that I would infer between "I am unable to" and "I can't" in this sentence.

"There's just no talking to you!" means that talking to you is a frustrating and fruitless experience, if that helps you at all.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore

Finally both of you have come to the point. I did think that the noun form of ignore was ignorance. I did check "ignore" in the dictionary but not the "ignorance" and I thought the "ignorance" is the noun form of "ignore" because I have seen that verbs can usually be made as nouns adding "ance". One thing I understood in this case is I have to be careful of these kind of verbs because they have meanings when they are just verbs but another meaning when converted as nouns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.