Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I found the difference between "lease" and "rent" as below, and if you'd like to add more, please tell me. And one more thing. In Canada, I once saw a lady living in an apartment saying she is having a room or den rented by another tenant, her being the original tenant to save rent - for example, if she has to pay $1000 per month, she gets $400 for another tenant under her, paying only $600 from her side. It seemed to be illegal, which is quite true in Korea.
Is this called "sublease" or "subrent"? The former seems to be only for offices, while the latter for apartments or condos.

Improve this chart
Lease
Rent
Meaning:
It is a contract renting land, buildings, etc., to another; a contract or instrument conveying property to another for a specified period
Renting is an agreement where a payment is made for the temporary use of a good or property owned by another person or company
Flexibility:
Not flexible
It is flexible
Time:
Long term
Short term
Agreement:
Pre determined and cannot be broken without breaking the lease
Pre determined and terms can be

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found the difference between "lease" and "rent" as below, and if you'd like to add more, please tell me. And one more thing. In Canada, I once saw a lady living in an apartment saying she is having a room or den rented by another tenant, her being the original tenant to save rent - for example, if she has to pay $1000 per month, she gets $400 for another tenant under her, paying only $600 from her side. It seemed to be illegal, which is quite true in Korea.
Is this called "sublease" or "subrent"? The former seems to be only for offices, while the latter for apartments or condos.

Improve this chartLeaseRent
Meaning:It is a contract renting land, buildings, etc., to another; a contract or instrument conveying property to another for a specified periodRenting is an agreement where a payment is made for the temporary use of a good or property owned by another person or company
Flexibility:Not flexibleIt is flexible
Time:Long termShort term
Agreement:Pre determined and cannot be broken without breaking the leasePre determined and terms can be

These words have a variety of legal meanings and terms depending on the jurisdiction. Your chart is over-simplified.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is also the distinction between common use of terms and legal terms. Most people would say they "rent" an apartment -- even though they legally are leasing.

On the other hand, people do speak about "leasing" cars, which is typically for a term of 2-3 years. This is an alternative to buying a car.

When travelling, people "rent" cars - usually for a few days or weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.