Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #1

    Cousins

    Hello,

    Is Cousins a male name or not?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #2

    Re: Cousins

    Cousins can be male or female. It is not normal for anyone to be named "Cousin" like someone would be named Joe or Sue.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: Cousins

    Both males and females can have the surname Cousins.

    It is not used as a forename.


    My cousins are the male or female offspring of the siblings of my parents.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #4

    Re: Cousins

    I don't think I've ever heard "forename." First name or given name. I was asked my "Christian name" on a form in Germany once.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,848
    #5

    Re: Cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard "forename." First name or given name. I was asked my "Christian name" on a form in Germany once.
    We used to use "Christian name" in the UK until the political correctness police found out and it was deemed inappropriate and offensive to other religions, so we went over to "forename" (on official forms) and "first name" in normal speech.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #6

    Re: Cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    We used to use "Christian name" in the UK until the political correctness police found out and it was deemed inappropriate and offensive to other religions, so we went over to "forename" (on official forms) and "first name" in normal speech.
    That's how it should be. I am not a Christian and I don't have a "Christian name".

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,848
    #7

    Re: Cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    That's how it should be. I am not a Christian and I don't have a "Christian name".
    I agree with the logic but I have never met anyone of any religion who actually found the term "offensive". That is a word which is bandied around far too much these days when all that is meant is "they don't like it". As an atheist, I agree that I don't consider my first name to be my Christian name, but I'm not offended or affronted by the term.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. Grumpy's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 972
    #8

    Re: Cousins

    As a baby, I was baptised with my name by a minister of the Church of Scotland. That's what made it my Christian Name, and it always will be.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,848
    #9

    Re: Cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    As a baby, I was baptised with my name by a minister of the Church of Scotland. That's what made it my Christian Name, and it always will be.
    I don't know about Scotland, but if you fill in an official form in England, you will not see that term on any paperwork, only "forename".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: Cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I agree with the logic but I have never met anyone of any religion who actually found the term "offensive". That is a word which is bandied around far too much these days when all that is meant is "they don't like it". As an atheist, I agree that I don't consider my first name to be my Christian name, but I'm not offended or affronted by the term.
    I agree with you; I am not a big fan of political correctness. But in our now global society, the label "Christian name" is no longer logical. In addition to "forename" there is "given name" as an alternative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. with his cousins
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2013, 23:07
  2. use of cousins
    By aasia in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2012, 23:45
  3. [Vocabulary] Country Cousins
    By anupumh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2009, 19:46
  4. [Grammar] My Two Cousins, Glenda and Robbi
    By jeanlong in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Mar-2009, 19:40

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •