Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 65
    #1

    breed

    If a old man feels alone, her partner died many yeas ago,having decided to raise a cat or dog, could I say the old man intends to breed a pet in order to relief his loneliness?
    Last edited by Soox; 07-Sep-2013 at 02:10.

  1. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: breed

    Quote Originally Posted by Soox View Post
    If a old man feels alone, her partner died many yeas ago, deciding to raise a cat or dog, could I say the old man breeds a pet to relief his loneliness?
    No. First, your sentence is about an old man and you refer to him as "her". Second, owning/raising a pet is far different from breeding a pet.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 65
    #3

    Re: breed

    Sorry, "her" should be changed into "his". I guess the word "breed" means some animals are raised/kept in a bid for making money.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: breed

    Quote Originally Posted by Soox View Post
    Sorry, "her" should be changed into "his". I guess the word "breed" means some animals are raised/kept in a bid for making money.
    Breeding an animal means to create a pregnancy for any of a number of reasons.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: breed

    Did you look up breed in the dictionary? A lonely old man can't breed a dog for companion unless he already has a fertile dog and bitch. But then he wouldn't be lonely, and wouldn't have to breed them. The man is more likely to acquire one from a breeder, or a petshop, or a litter that someone wants to give away.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,492
    #6

    Re: breed

    ...or hopefully give a loving home to a rescue dog from an animal sanctuary.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Posts: 65
    #7

    Re: breed

    If you breed animals or plants, you keep them for the purpose of producing more animals or plants with particular qualities, in a controlled way.
    This is a definition about breed from here.


    The college specially cultures medical talents.

    "cultures", here, is not changed into "breeds" because breed refers to training some animals or plants rather than persons.

    Am I right?



    If I'm right, why does not the sentence comply with the rule?
    Born and bred in this country, he and his wife emigrated to Los Angeles after the war
    he was bred in the country. But he is a person rather than some animal. I'm puzzled over the phrase "Born and bred".

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: breed

    Quote Originally Posted by Soox View Post
    If you breed animals or plants, you keep them for the purpose of producing more animals or plants with particular qualities, in a controlled way.
    This is a definition about breed from here.


    The college specially cultures medical talents.

    "cultures", here, is not changed into "breeds" because breed refers to training some animals or plants rather than persons.

    Am I right?



    If I'm right, why does not the sentence comply with the rule?
    Born and bred in this country, he and his wife emigrated to Los Angeles after the war
    he was bred in the country. But he is a person rather than some animal. I'm puzzled over the phrase "Born and bred".
    It means his parents were here when the pregnacy happened and he was born here.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,492
    #9

    Re: breed

    'Born and bred' is a fixed expression, simply meaning 'born and brought up'.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: breed

    See also: well-bred.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. sweeping up this day breed
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2011, 10:58
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2011, 23:13
  3. a no breed dog
    By Abstract Idea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Apr-2010, 06:55
  4. Breed sb out
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2008, 19:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •