• Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

"pretty, quite, fairly, somewhat, slightly"

Hi,
    "pretty, quite, fairly, somewhat, slightly" They all have the same meaning when they function as adverbs. I want to know if my estimation is correct and they all can be used instead of one anther. Please help me to clarify it.

Thanks,

Please note that if there are any mistakes in my writing, correct them and show me the mistakes. It would be really appreciated. Thanks,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "pretty, quite, fairly, somewhat, slightly"

Quote Originally Posted by UM Chakma View Post
    Hi,
    "pretty, quite, fairly, somewhat, slightly" They all have the same meaning when they function as adverbs. I want to know if my estimation is correct and they all can be used instead of one anther. Please help me to clarify it.

Thanks.
    You have been on the forum long enough to know that it is very difficult for us to answer such a broad and sweeping statement. As usual, we would like you to do some work. Please write several sentences using the words and then we can comment on whether they sound natural and grammatical with the different adverbs.

Also, please note that you need to put a full stop after the word "Thanks", not a comma.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

That is what I expected with my notice. Till now no one showed me that mistake. I would never use a comma after "Thanks" if I knew that it was wrong. Anyway thank you so much. Okay let me write some contexts.

"I take after pretty much/well my mom but there is a slightly difference in height."
    "You should have quite enough money to start to run a business."

Can I use my all suggested adverbs in the same contexts like above? Or are they used separately in different contexts?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by UM Chakma View Post
    That is what I expected with my notice. Till now no one showed me that mistake. I would never use a comma after "Thanks" if I knew that it was wrong. Anyway thank you so much. Okay let me write some contexts.

"I take after pretty much/well my mom but there is a slightly difference in height."
    "You should have quite enough money to start to run a business."

Can I use my all suggested adverbs in the same contexts like above? Or are they used separately in different contexts?
    The sentence should be
    "I take after my mom [adverbial here] but there is a slight difference in height."

The adverbial could be 'pretty much', 'somewhat', 'slightly', 'to some extent'... but not 'quite' or 'fairly'. You could say 'I'm quite/fairly like...', but they don't work with 'take after'.

b
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 07-Sep-2013 at 16:22. Reason: Fixing typo