• Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Re-

Hello,

As we know the prefix "Re" is mostly used with verbs to refer to repetition. Is it common that it always refers to repetition? And can we add to any action verbs to mean the repetition? I am asking this because sometimes I get confused if I can add "re" to the verb and after adding if it really means the repetition. Please help me to clarify that.

Please let me know if there are any mistakes in my writing and correct them. It would be a great help for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Re-

You can add "re" to most verbs to suggest repetition. There are, no doubt, exceptions although I can't think of any obvious ones. In some cases, it might lead to confusion. If you want to say that somebody planned to run the same jogging route for a second time, you might try to say "I am going to rerun that route". The problem there is "to rerun" is already a verb in its own right and it doesn't work in the context I suggested. You could probably get away with "I am going to re-run that route".

Note though that you won't find the "re" form of every verb in the dictionary so if a verb isn't in there, that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be used. For example, if you have already brushed your teeth but you decide to brush them again, you might say "My teeth still feel horrible. I am going to rebrush/re-brush them". You won't find that in the dictionary.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.