[General] I'm requested to enclose my C.V to a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucef

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I have sent a letter of application for a job, together with my C.V. Which the company requested. What do I say?

1-You asked for my curriculum vitae, so here it is.
2-As you requested, I am enclosing my curriculum vitae.
3-As you can see, I have have enclosed my curriculum vitae.
4-My curriculum vitae is enclosed.

I select 2 because it's formal. Is that correct?
Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have sent a letter of application for a job, together with my C.V. Which the company requested. What do I say?

1-You asked for my curriculum vitae, so here it is.
2-As you requested, I am enclosing my curriculum vitae.
3-As you can see, I have have enclosed my curriculum vitae.
4-My curriculum vitae is enclosed.

I select 2 because it's formal. Is that correct?
Thank you.

#4 is possible but I prefer #2.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the company requested your CV (with or without the full stops) you can call it your CV.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say "As requested", rather than "As you requested".

As requested, I enclose my CV.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say "As requested", rather than "As you requested".

As requested, I enclose my CV.

Now, that is interesting. I would tend to use the present perfect there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now, that is interesting. I would tend to use the present perfect there.

I assume you are talking about the "I enclose my CV part". It is the classic BrE style. There is nothing wrong with "I am enclosing my CV" or "I have enclosed my CV" but we tend to use the present simple.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume you are talking about the "I enclose my CV part". It is the classic BrE style. There is nothing wrong with "I am enclosing my CV" or "I have enclosed my CV" but we tend to use the present simple.

I did not think that your proposed language was wrong. I was just surprised because in my experience AmE uses the perfect tenses less often than BrE.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher!

I would write: "As requested, please find enclosed my CV."

Actually, I would not write anything. The application letter is a marketing tool to sell oneself to a prospective employer. It should only be one page long and therefore I would not want to waste any space stating the obvious. As it is common practice (at least in the UK) to send a CV with a letter of application it is sufficient to write at the very bottom of the letter either "Enc." or "Enc.: CV". Enc stands for enclosure.

TomUK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher!

I would write: "As requested, please find enclosed my CV."

Actually, I would not write anything. The application letter is a marketing tool to sell oneself to a prospective employer. It should only be one page long and therefore I would not want to waste any space stating the obvious. As it is common practice (at least in the UK) to send a CV with a letter of application it is sufficient to write at the very bottom of the letter either "Enc." or "Enc.: CV". Enc stands for enclosure.

TomUK

I think you may be confusing "resume" with "CV". A resume needs to be short, 1-2 pages. A CV is usually much longer. Mine is over 40 pages.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't tend to use résumé in BrE. It's almost always referred to as a CV and should run to no more than two pages. Many prospective employers will put any CV longer than that straight in the bin/shredder because they simply don't have time to read more than two pages.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't tend to use résumé in BrE. It's almost always referred to as a CV and should run to no more than two pages. Many prospective employers will put any CV longer than that straight in the bin/shredder because they simply don't have time to read more than two pages.

I have many British colleagues. And I can assure you that their CVs are longer than 2 pages. They are the lifeblood of academia.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
I think you may be confusing "resume" with "CV". A resume needs to be short, 1-2 pages. A CV is usually much longer. Mine is over 40 pages.

I have learned that in the USA they say "resume" whereas in the UK they say "CV" and both mean the same. In my post I was only referring to the length of the application letter, not the CV. From recent experience as a job seeker in the UK I can say that a CV should not be longer than three to four pages. If your CV is more than 40 pages long you either have to reduce it in size or risk it being chucked in the bin by a prospective employer. Of course, it might be different in your neck of the woods.

TomUK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have learned that in the USA they say "resume" whereas in the UK they say "CV" and both mean the same. In my post I was only referring to the length of the application letter, not the CV. From recent experience as a job seeker in the UK I can say that a CV should not be longer than three to four pages. If your CV is more than 40 pages long you either have to reduce it in size or risk it being chucked in the bin by a prospective employer. Of course, it might be different in your neck of the woods.

TomUK

Trust me, the length of my CV is an asset, not a disability. Those folks at Oxford and Cambridge weigh CVs and discard the the minor ones.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Trust me, the length of my CV is an asset, not a disability. Those folks at Oxford and Cambridge weigh CVs and discard the the minor ones.
Um, no, they don't.

If it is relevant to the application, then a list of articles and books may be added and this may run to more than a couple of pages. However, in an initial application, I would have thought that two pages was a maximum for a CV. Tom feels it might be three or four. Thirty or forty pages would be laughed out of court in any British institution that I know of.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK

What you write might well be true for the world of academia. I can only relate to my experience in the business world gained in three different sectors over three decades and in two countries. Earlier this year I needed to apply for a new job and got some professional help writing my CV. I was told that as a school leaver or early on in your career your CV should not be longer than 2 pages, after some years of work experience the length of a CV should not exceed 4 pages. The last time I had to write a CV was many years ago and the way CVs are written in this day and age has changed quite a lot since then. In the olden days I would just list my employment history, my education and qualifications gained, and I would end with a few lines about hobbies and interests. Nowadays you have to start your CV with a personal profile and a list of your skills. - Please note that this applies to CVs written for the world of business in the UK; I would not know what is required for academic positions.

TomUK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was job-hunting in Spain and then again back in the UK, I was given advice by both experienced job-seekers and employment agencies. In both situations, I was told that my CV should run to no more than two sheets of A4 (single-sided) including, if necessary, a personal statement. The covering letter for each individual job could be longer but they all told me that (despite the name) the covering letter is actually the second thing most companies look at. They don't even get to the covering letter if the CV is too long.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
The covering letter for each individual job could be longer but they all told me that (despite the name) the covering letter is actually the second thing most companies look at. They don't even get to the covering letter if the CV is too long.

I had a similar experience. For my current job I did not even get to writing a covering letter. My current employer found my CV on an employment agency website and invited me for a job interview based on my CV.

TomUK

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
An academic CV is a different type of beast than a business CV. Business CV's are made concise in order to attract the reader's attention to the key points without boring him or her. The underlying assumption is that the person who reads your CV will be reading dozens of them.

Academic CV's, on the other hand, usually list every scholarly publication their author has made, every academic honour received and so on. They can be as long as they need to be to list everything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An academic CV is a different type of beast than a business CV. Business CV's are made concise in order to attract the reader's attention to the key points without boring him or her. The underlying assumption is that the person who reads your CV will be reading dozens of them.

Academic CV's, on the other hand, usually list every scholarly publication their author has made, every academic honour received and so on. They can be as long as they need to be to list everything.

In that case, I'm very glad not to be part of the world of academia! It took me days just to do a decent two-page CV for my job-hunting. That was more than enough.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think we may be talking about different things here. A recent ad for an Oxbridge lectureship required applicants to submit:

1. full contact details;
2. covering letter/statement stating how they meet crieria set out in the job spec;
3. a full CV and (my emphasis -5jj) publications list;
4. names and contact details of three referees.

The whole package, particularly for a senior post at a leading university may well run to a couple of dozen or more pages, but the CV itself will not.

A British CV is just a record of your education and jobs.
Your education part prior to the age of 18 takes one line, the first degree perhaps two lines. Even post-bachelor degrees will not take up a great deal of space - important, relevant research work and posts of responsibility will be highlighted in the covering letter.
Details of your career will cover every job you had since graduation (though not part-time vacation work unless directly relevant to the job applied for. Few details will be given of jobs held more than five years ago unless directly relevant.
Very little space will be devoted to hobbies unless, once again, directly relevant.

The employer wants to know from a CV whether applicants have the right qualifications, experience and career path for the job - that's all. They will be quite interested in your current post, because that has a direct bearing on what you can bring to the post they want to fill. That's why a British CV, even for an academic post, tends to be short.

The future employers will initially glance through the CV, have a quick look over the names of the journals you have published in (are they respected in the relevant field(s)?), and possibly glance at the names of the referees (if you are applying for a senior post at a Russell Group university your old headteacher and a junior lecturer at a former polytechnic will not impress). At this stage, s/he will not wish to wade through thirty or forty pages to hunt out the vital information.

Status
Not open for further replies.