• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Lightbulb Present Perfect vs Past Simple

So simple and again, so difficult. I am Polish and in our grammar there is no concept of Present Perfect, which we Poles (especially one Pole in particular) struggle with hugely. Could you please advise me which tense to use in following report:

"It is very important to know how to communicate effectively with the co-workers within the same laboratory, and also with the other service users.
    Teamwork is a crucial part of any work environment. I have learnt how to work with variety of people in microbiology, including biomedical scientists, medical laboratory assistance and office clerks. I have showed my strong teamwork skills when covering different benches for my colleague or when working on Saturdays.
    Interactions with other service users like porters, nurses and visitors also helped me to gain experience in building professional relationships. I very often was asked questions at the reception, which I dealt with in informative manner."

I hope I have not (or did not) make lots of mistakes.

Many thanks,
    Troubled PJ:)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Present Perfect vs Past Simple

Quote Originally Posted by Pawel 'Pj' Janeczek View Post
    So simple and again, so difficult. I am Polish and in our grammar there is no concept of Present Perfect, which we Poles (especially one Pole in particular) struggle with hugely. Could you please advise me which tense to use in following report:

"It is very important to know how to communicate effectively with [deleted] co-workers within the same laboratory, and also with [deleted] other service users.
    Teamwork is a crucial part of any work environment. I have learnt ["learnt" or "learned" in BrE; always "learned" in AmE] how to work with a variety of people in microbiology, including biomedical scientists, medical laboratory assistants and office clerks. I have shown my strong teamwork skills when covering different benches for my colleagues, or when working on Saturdays.
    Interactions with other service users like porters, nurses and visitors have also helped me to gain experience in building professional relationships. Very often, I have been asked questions at the reception, which I have dealt with in an informative manner." I would write this final sentence as "At the reception desk, I have often been involved in answering a wide range of questions from many different people".

I hope I have not (or did not) make lots of mistakes. [have not made, or did not make]

Many thanks,
    Troubled PJ:)

Hope this helps.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Re: Present Perfect vs Past Simple

Thank you for that. It does help hugely!