• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

burned out/jaded

Hello,

Do these words (burned out and jaded) mean the same when it comes to someone who has become very extremely exhausted because of the stress and overworking at his/her work?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: burned out/jaded

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    Hello,

Do these words (burned out and jaded) mean the same when it comes to someone who has become very extremely exhausted because of the stress and overworking at his/her work?

Thanks for the answers in advance.
    They have similar meanings, but people who are jaded are usually still functional. Those who are burned out are usually not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Those who are jaded are disillusioned or have turned cynical.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    Those who are jaded are disillusioned or have turned cynical.
    Hello SoothingDave,

Thanks for the answer but I think it conradicts a bit with what MikeNewYork said. What you suggest is; being jaded is a heavier conditon than being burned out. But Mike suggested that while being burned out renders one unfunctional, being jaded does not. Would you clarify your point of view?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hello SoothingDave,

Thanks for the answer but I think it conradicts a bit with what MikeNewYork said. What you suggest is; being jaded is a heavier conditon than being burned out. But Mike suggested that while being burned out renders one unfunctional, being jaded does not. Would you clarify your point of view?
    No, he did not contradict what I said. He simply defined "jaded".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Let's think of someone who decides he wants to "save the world" so he gets into politics. With the hectic schedules and demands of the job, he may become physically and emotionally exhausted. He is burned out. He needs to take some time and refresh himself.

While he is burned out, and resting, he is not working.

Now, if the same politician fights hard for his ideals, but discovers that the reality of politics means that compromising his principles is necessary in order to maintain his office, he may decide that the power and trappings of office are more important than the idealistic things he wanted to accomplish when he started.

In this case, he would be jaded about achieving his original goals. But he would still be capable of functioning in his work.

See definition 2 here:

Jaded - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Hello SoothingDave,

Thanks for the answer.

I checked the link you gave. The second definition fits what you had said before. But in the link is also the first definition concerning being exhausted. Is the first one about just about being physically fatigued which I suspect or does it also involve being mentally exhausted? Why choose the second definition over the first one when we are comparing this word with the word burned out? Isn't the first one a better fit? Does what you said suggest that the ones who are jaded are stayers and the ones who are burned out are quitters?

I appreciate that you gave me answers for several times to my question, I really don't like to bore you with it repeatedly but I'm still confused about the meaning of the word jaded.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hello SoothingDave,

Thanks for the answer.

I checked the link you gave. The second definition fits what you had said before. But in the link is also the first definition concerning being exhausted. Is the first one about just about being physically fatigued which I suspect or does it also involve being mentally exhausted? Why choose the second definition over the first one when we are comparing this word with the word burned out? Isn't the first one a better fit? Does what you said suggest that the ones who are jaded are stayers and the ones who are burned out are quitters?

I appreciate that you gave me answers for several times to my question, I really don't like to bore you with it repeatedly but I'm still confused about the meaning of the word jaded.
    I understand your confusion. I don't know why that definition is listed as the first. That is not the way we usually use the word. Dave's explanation of "jaded" is the way I usually use the word. We often enter new situations very idealistic. Then, after we learn the ropes, we become jaded. But we keep on going. People who are burned out are past the keep on going stage.