Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jun 2013
    • Posts: 637
    #1

    they would get the same scores we get ............ they were

    The rise in IQ seems to be caused by a combination of factors such as better nutrition, more schooling, and exposure to more complex technologies. Researchers believe that if our grandparents were born today, they would get the same scores we get ............ they were exposed to the same environment and education we are exposed to.

    a. even if
    b. as long as (answer key)

    Source: Summit 2B (by Joan Saslo and Allen Ascher) Pearson
    Longman Press, Unit7, Subordinate conjunctions and transitions
    .


    If you click here you will see the picture of the page of the book.

    Hello teachers,
    I am confused that why option (a) can not work in there? In my opinion it makes sense too if we choose option (a)
    Would you please clarify it to me that why option (a) can not be used in there?

    Thank you
    Last edited by sb70012; 10-Sep-2013 at 20:08.

  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #2

    Re: they would get the same scores we get ............ they were

    Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    The rise in IQ seems to be caused by a combination of factors such as better nutrition, more schooling, and exposure to more complex technologies. Researchers believe that if our grandparents were born today, they would get the same scores we get ............ they were exposed to the same environment and education we are exposed to.

    a. even if
    b. as long as (answer key)

    Source: Summit 2B (by Joan Saslo and Allen Ascher) Pearson
    Longman Press, Unit7, Subordinate conjunctions and transitions
    .


    If you click here you will see the picture of the page of the book.

    Hello teachers,
    I am confused that why option (a) can not work in there? In my opinion it makes sense too if we choose option (a)
    Would you please clarify it to me that why option (a) can not be used in there?

    Thank you
    "As long as" means "on the condition that". In the sentence the idea is that people in the past would get the same scores (as people get today) if they were exposed to the same opportunities to learn things.

    "Even if" means "no matter whether". In that sentence "even if" would create a meaning opposite to what was intended. In other words: People would get the same scores (as people get today) no matter what they were exposed to. But they didn't.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: they would get the same scores we get ............ they were

    Don't worry about such twaddle. if they were born today they clearly would not get the same scores as anybody, because they would be babies. If 'today' is taken to mean 'at the same time as we were', then of course they would be exposed to the same environment and education we are/were exposed to.

    You can't make sense out of nonsense. It's a bad test question.
    Last edited by 5jj; 10-Sep-2013 at 21:58. Reason: typo

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #4

    Re: they would get the same scores we get ............ they were

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Don't worry about such twaddle. if they were born today they clearly would not get the same scores as anybody, because they would be babies. If 'today' is taken to mean 'at the same time as we were', then of course they would be exposed to the same environment and education we are/were exposed to.

    You can't make sense out of nonsense. It's a bad test question.
    I don't think the question was that bad. It was testing comprehension of "even if" versus "as along as", not the comprehension of "today", which has a variety of meanings.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: they would get the same scores we get ............ they were

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I don't think the question was that bad. It was testing comprehension of "even if" versus "as along as", not the comprehension of "today", which has a variety of meanings.
    I do realise that. However, if there is a possibility of more than one interpretation of a single word ( today, for example) that is unconnected with what is being tested, then we have a bad test. I also realise that most educated native speakers would come up with the 'correct' answer. I just happen to think that learners should not be judged on their competence in English by flawed questions.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: they would get the same scores we get ............ they were

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    I just happen to think that learners should not be judged on their competence in English by flawed questions.
    Did I write that? I apologise for that lapse. What I should have said was: I passionately believe that learners should not be judged on their competence in English by flawed questions.

Similar Threads

  1. scores records?
    By thomas615 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2012, 14:51
  2. Scores in games
    By Nightmare85 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2010, 19:40
  3. how to say scores
    By tasdibek in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2009, 19:43
  4. a scores of
    By WUKEN in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2008, 19:48
  5. scores
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2007, 21:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •