• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Post even though

1. Even though IQ tests can predict success in low-stress conditions, they often fail to predict performance in stressful situations.

2. IQ tests can predict success in low-stress conditions even though they often fail to predict performance in stressful situations.

3. IQ tests can predict success in low-stress conditions,. Nevertheless, they often fail to predict performance in stressful situations.

Hi,

I know that number 1 and 3 are correct but what about number 2? Number 2 is made by me but I am not sure If it's correct or not. Would you please be nice enough to tell me if number 2 is correct or not?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: even though

It is.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Is that a comma after 'conditions' in #3, sb? It's not clear on my screen. If it is, it should be a full stop.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by sb70012 View Post
    1. Even though IQ tests can predict success in low-stress conditions, they often fail to predict performance in stressful situations.

2. IQ tests can predict success in low-stress conditions, even though they often fail to predict performance in stressful situations.

3. IQ tests can predict success in low-stress conditions. Nevertheless, they often fail to predict performance in stressful situations.

Hi,

I know that number 1 and 3 are correct but what about number 2? Number 2 is made by me but I am not sure If it's correct or not. Would you please be nice enough to tell me if number 2 is correct or not?

Thank you.
    As 5jj says, all are correct. However, which one you use may depend upon what message you are trying to get across in your writing.

Example 1 starts with a cautionary "Even though", which alerts the reader to to the limitation at the end of the sentence. The overall emphasis is on the limitation.
    Example 2 starts with a positive statement, and the limitation tails off towards the end of the same sentence. The overall emphasis is on the positive.
    Example 3 also starts with that positive statement, emphasised by being a stand-alone sentence. However, this is followed immediately by an equally strong sentence, stating the limitation. The overall emphasis is on the limitation.

If I were trying to convince someone to use an IQ test despite its limitation, I would use the construction in Example 2​.
    I'm not a teacher of English, but I have spoken it for (almost) all of my life....

4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Is that a comma after 'conditions' in #3, sb? It's not clear on my screen. If it is, it should be a full stop.

Rover
    OOps not really. I had mistyped it. It was only (.) period. The comma is a typo there.