Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just for info, I didn't receive an email about the password reset. I just tried to open the site, got the message saying that my password hadn't been changed for 1506 days and to "click here" to reset it.

Whilst I realise that some of our members might not be completely au fait with technology, the password reset is much simpler than the original sign-up procedure. I'm not quite sure why someone not seeing the email before going to the site would cause a problem. The message that comes up on the site is self-explanatory even for an English language beginner.

If traffic is down, it's probably more to do with people coming to the site, seeing that message and just deciding they haven't got time to do it right there and then, so they'll come back another day.

It is completely understandable that data security has to be the top priority on the site so these procedures must be followed.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
At first, I didn't receive the email either. After the first failure, I tried opening the site from different devices and every time got the message saying something like 'your profile doesn't comply with the administrator's requirements'. For a while, it made me ponder about what I could have done wrong. Not finding any particular fault in my comments here (apart from natural language inaccuracies), I tried the 'forget-your-password' option but it didn't work then. All in all, it took me considerably more than 25 minutes to sign in as both emails arrived only the following day and I would lie to say that it meant nothing to me, but methinks that's something we can live with. At least as a sign of gratitude for the whole site and the community.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Again, sorry for this.

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I must have messed it up once again but I don't think there's anything to be sorry about - I didn't write to complain. You're doing your job and the result is awesome despite any possible technical issues. I could only imagine how demanding it might be to run a site with so many people around if managing just a group of ten students can be a real headache. :)

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I appreciate the efforts put in by the Website and it being very honest in its purpose and being sensitive to security of personal data and it being hacked by other web-mongers. I was just trying to give you facts and true facts, nothing else. Perhaps it was considered an offensive by many, and I regret. I was speaking for the members and the problems they were facing. Unless we communicate what problems the members are facing, how can you resolve them. Hope this matter is rests here.

Mr Harry Smith

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
As part of a periodic review of security on the UsingEnglish.com site we have forced a password reset for all of our users. We have also configured the site to request that passwords are changed every 180 days (every 6 months).

We realise that this causes a minor inconvenience to our users but hope that you appreciate the steps we are taking to ensure the safety and security of your accounts and data.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,

Red5

My name is Harry Smith. I have been a memeber of this forum for about 7 years. Unfortunately I forgot my password and couldn't log in. So I decided To register again as Mr harry Smith. Can I get my old password and be Harry Smith again?

ulya

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Azerbaijani
Home Country
Azerbaijan
Current Location
Azerbaijan
I have new password too:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My name is Harry Smith. I have been a memeber of this forum for about 7 years. Unfortunately I forgot my password and couldn't log in. So I decided To register again as Mr harry Smith. Can I get my old password and be Harry Smith again?

Harry,

I have sent you a Private Message and emails with details of how to log in with your old account.

percy strange

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Harry,

I have sent you a Private Message and emails with details of how to log in with your old account.

Harry's plea put me in mind of the old record: The Trouble With Harry - YouTube

Not everyone is pleased by "re-branding". It is good to know that you that you are willing and able to help Harry avoid the painful experience. The new password imposition process has allowed you to show good "customer care" along with "good" customer care. (If you see what I mean.)

Nice work.
:up:
P

Mr. Acosta

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
I need help how to re take MyELT

Hello: to whom it may concern. I am an enrolled student of MyElT course and I have just entered once into it. But I lost my password and I have tried several times to re-enter in order to take the course but I just couldn´t. Could someone help me to do it. I would truly appreciate your assistance in this matter. Greetings from Mexico!

V

von trupka

Hi,

My previous account was 'nyota'. I couldn't log in with my old password or retrieve it as the email I had given was not up to date. Is it possible to re-establish my old name?

Thanks,
nyota.
:shocked!:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, it is. Please check the Private Messages for the von trupka account.

sumonthelost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Hello everyone. So glad to see all of you again:). By the way, I can't access to my previous account. I wanted to reset my account with the email but it is not working. My username was "sumon." and join date was Aug 2011.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hello everyone. So glad to see all of you again:). By the way, I can't access to my previous account. I wanted to reset my account with the email but it is not working. My username was "sumon." and join date was Aug 2011.

Please check Private Messages in this account.

Heidita2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I am sorry to bother on this thread. My name used to be "Heidita", I had some odd 1500 posts...
For some reason I could not access my account.
I would really appreciate getting my account back- I tried to contact an admin...but don't seem to have sufficient privileges.
thanks a lot for solving my problem. :cool:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you followed the instruction in the email advising you that you must change your password, Heidita?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am sorry to bother on this thread. My name used to be "Heidita", I had some odd 1500 posts...
For some reason I could not access my account.
I would really appreciate getting my account back- I tried to contact an admin...but don't seem to have sufficient privileges.
thanks a lot for solving my problem. :cool:

Please check the Private Messages in the Heidita2 account- I have sent instructions on how you can access the heidita account.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do check the spam folder in your email account.

Status
Not open for further replies.