What is the best way to learn new words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomcic

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I am utterly happy to be part of this forum, I have improved my English quite a bit since the last year but there is still room for improvement. I am not able to clearly see what my mistakes are and that's what troubling me, but I sincerely believe that with your help I would be able to master (whatever that means) English language.

Seemingly I am not able to easily recall new words I have learned in the past days, I am not sure whether it is up to my method of learning or just about my bad memory.

I developed a method of learning new words, whenever I encounter a new word first what I do is I translate it into my language, then I find a synonym in English language, and then I try to find a suitable sentence for that word.

For instance, word 'vehemently'.
vehemently-zestoko( in my language )
vehemently/intensely/strongly ( I hope these are the right synonyms)

He demeaned me vehemently during my presentation about evolution of technology.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here's a good way to look at usage:
Go to Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA) and British National Corpus (BYU-BNC) and enter the word. These are large databases of real language use and will present you with lists of the word in use in British and American English. Then you can see how we use the word and will see patterns- we protest/disagree vehemently and are vehemently opposed to things, but I would be unlikely to say that someone demeaned me vehemently.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Atomcic

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Wow, these are some great web sites. Thanks a ton.

I'll use this opportunity to find a proper place for next words..

Mundane
1. Everything you did is a bit mundane and not worth of thorough analysis. ( In the case when mundane represent lack of interest?)
2. You can find something extra-ordinary in the smallest and seemingly mundane things. ( In this context mundane means something from Earth?)

Outlandish is same as weird/peculiar?
1. Minority of people often dress themselves with outlandish costumes, but I wonder are these costumes really outlandish or is it all the product of society?

Overarching is same as comprehensive/global all-embracing?
1. The overarching question should be why are people unable to enjoy in the beauty of nature?

Fallacy is same as mistake/error or even delusion?
1. Strait-laced way of reasoning can often lead people to fallacy?
2. It is a fallacy to expect decent actions from indecent men.

Myriad is same as numerous/many?

1.There have been myriad reports on Microsoft utility.
2. While there are myriads factors on the slide we should learn how to focus on the right one.

Synecdoche - I have no idea how to use this.

Promiscuity I can't find a synonym for this word, but as far as I understand promiscuity is a need to change sexual partner?

1.Without human promiscuity many viruses would cease to exist.

Refuting is same as disproving/debunking?

1. Your theory about existence of the soul is completely refuted amongst scientist.

Biased I can't find synonym for this one either, but I use it in the next sentences.

1. I am way to much biased to my own opinions that I am unable to thing logically.

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll just look at a few words:
1. Everything you did is a bit mundane and not worth of thorough analysis. ( In the case when mundane represent lack of interest?)
2. You can find something extra-ordinary in the smallest and seemingly mundane things. ( In this context mundane means something from Earth?)
Definition #1 fits for both of these.
Outlandish is same as weird/peculiar?
1. A Minority of people often dress [STRIKE]themselves with[/STRIKE] in outlandish costumes, but I wonder are these costumes really outlandish or is it all the product of society?
That sentence does not really make sense. First of all you say the costumes are outlandish, then you ask whether they are.
Fallacy is same as mistake/error or even delusion?
Not exactly. See: Definition of fallacy | Collins English Dictionary
Myriad is same as numerous/many?
Not exactly. See: myriad - definition. American English definition of myriad by Macmillan Dictionary

You need to use a dictionary to check the meanings of words. The you can use the corpora or FrazeIt to see how many other people have actually used them

Atomcic

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
What about other sentences, and what about the sentences where I used words myriad and fallacy?

Last edited:

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
...Seemingly I am not able to easily recall new words I have learned in the past days, I am not sure whether it is up to my method of learning or just about my bad memory.

I developed a method of learning new words, whenever I encounter a new word first what I do is I translate it into my language, then I find a synonym in English language, and then I try to find a suitable sentence for that word...

Welcome to the forum! You are right, this is a very good place to learn English.

As for your method, it seems to be more about understanding words, their meanings and usage (provided that you effectively exploit the sites you were given). Clearly, such approach will help to build up an extensive passive vocabulary that is always nice to have. It would also foster the so required sense of style. However, in my experience, the ability to quickly retrieve words from this passive database calls for a bit more active practice, especially where timing is an issue.

Good luck in mastering English, anyway. :)

ps. I'd also add opposites to the list - pretty often they are far more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.