Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi there all,

"A girl who is grown up in a rural society/environment and even if not much educated has a better understanding about the society than a girl who is grown up in an urban society/environment." Now I am going to rewrite this sentence deleting which is from the sentence to check if I can write it correctly.

"A girl grown up in a rural society and even if not much educated has a better understanding about the society than a girl grown up in an urban society."

Is my sentence correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Neither one is at all natural.

A girl who has grown up in a rural society will have a better understanding of that society than a girl who has grown up in an urban environment.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks. I wanted to try deleting the relative pronoun. In your sentence, can't "who has" be deleted to shorten the sentence?
"A girl grown up in a rural society will have a better understanding of that society than a girl who has grown up in an urban environment."

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not with the phrasal verb "grow up". But if you substitute "raised" it would work: a girl raised in a rural society...

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Not with the phrasal verb "grow up". But if you substitute "raised" it would work: a girl raised in a rural society...
ou

Then you say that we can delete relative pronouns when it is with a single verb but not phrasal verb, don't you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then you say that we can delete relative pronouns when it is with a single verb but not phrasal verb, don't you?
No.

The point is that 'raised' is passive in meaning, as would be the acceptable 'brought up'.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
English grammar seems to be very complicated.:-D

Thanks to both of you anyway.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The girl grew up / has grown up in the country.- No passive possible.

The girl's grandparents raised her / have raised her. - She was raised / has been raised by her grandparents.
The girl's grandparents brought her up / have brought her up.- She was brought up / has been brought up by her grandparents.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Wow! very clear 5jj. The case was with verbs. Some verbs cannot be made as passive, so the "grow up" is one of them. I knew it but I didn't know what those verbs are. Is there any way to find verbs if which verbs can be made as positive and which is cannot be? And I believe they have name. Can you please give me those name? I mean how those verbs(which have no passive form and which have) are called.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Intransitive verbs, verbs that do not take an object, have no passive form.

Status
Not open for further replies.