[Vocabulary] [offset] His blonde hair offset a deep tan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
According to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English,
offset (v.): 1 if the cost or amount of something offsets another cost or amount, the two things have an opposite effect so that the situation remains the same
2 to make something look better by being close to it and different: His blonde hair offset a deep tan.
I think I don't fully understand the second sense. Could anyone explain the second sense and the accompanying illustrating sentence further please?
Much appreciated. Thank all of you very much.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In the context of suntan, we normally expect that a person with dark hair and eyes is better able to acquire a suntan than a fair person. When we encounter deeply-tanned person with fair hair and eyes we say that the complexion offsets the tan. Similarly, if we saw a shabbily dressed man getting out of a Rolls-Royce, we might say that his wardrobe offsets his obvious wealth.

I do not think it is a very common usage.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems to be used in fashion more frequently. "Her black dress was offset by a neon pink handbag".

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
In the context of suntan, we normally expect that a person with dark hair and eyes is better able to acquire a suntan than a fair person. When we encounter deeply-tanned person with fair hair and eyes we say that the complexion offsets the tan. Similarly, if we saw a shabbily dressed man getting out of a Rolls-Royce, we might say that his wardrobe offsets his obvious wealth.

I do not think it is a very common usage.
But how exactly are your explanation and the example sentence above related to the meaning "to make something look better by being close to it and different"?
Please help me. I still fail to understand the connection between them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To be honest, I don't entirely agree with their definition! I don't say that very often.

Perhaps I should say that, although that is the correct definition, it has come to be used in a slightly different way. For me "His blond hair offset a deep tan" simply means that his blond hair served to make his already dark tan look even darker. I don't think it means that either his hair or his tan looked better by being seen together.

With the example I gave about the dress and the handbag, I actually think it simply suggests that having a bright pink handbag added something to the simple plain black dress. Whether it actually made the dress look better is very subjective. In some cases, I think it can even mean that two things complement each other.

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
To be honest, I don't entirely agree with their definition! I don't say that very often.

Perhaps I should say that, although that is the correct definition, it has come to be used in a slightly different way. For me "His blond hair offset a deep tan" simply means that his blond hair served to make his already dark tan look even darker. I don't think it means that either his hair or his tan looked better by being seen together.

With the example I gave about the dress and the handbag, I actually think it simply suggests that having a bright pink handbag added something to the simple plain black dress. Whether it actually made the dress look better is very subjective. In some cases, I think it can even mean that two things complement each other.
And what does it mean by "being close to it and different"? This phrase seems quite vague to me.
Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
His blond hair is near his tanned skin and is a very different colour- the contrast (blond hair/brown skin) makes the tan look darker..

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But how exactly are your explanation and the example sentence above related to the meaning "to make something look better by being close to it and different"?
Please help me. I still fail to understand the connection between them.

This issue in your example is "contrast". There is a contrast between the light hair and the dark skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.