Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello there,

I have some problems with adding "too" in sentences.

"I draw some pictures too." In this sentence, I believe that the "too" has modified the "pictures".

If I want to use the "too" to modify "I", how should I write? "I too draw some pictures." like this? But I believe my last context(I too draw some pictures) can also be written like the first one(I draw some pictures too). In this case, I do not understand the "too" modifies which.

Please can you help me to clarify the case?

Thanks.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Untitled.jpg
I have uploaded a picture(screen shot) where the context I got from.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I, too, draw some pictures" = I draw some pictures. I am not the only person drawing them. Someone else is drawing pictures. I draw pictures in addition to someone else who draws pictures.

"I draw pictures too" = I draw pictures in addition to doing something else.

The example from your book shows that Angeles has different ways of making notes about word-class. She writes some words in black, some in red, some in Spanish in a different colour. She also draws pictures.

In that context, "I draw pictures too" = "I draw pictures in addition to the other things I do".

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Now I understood.
"I, too, want to go home on this vacation." (Someone else is also going) The "too" modifies "I", doesn't it?
"I want to go home on this vacation too." (Perhaps I might have gone home on last vacation but I want to go again) The "too" modifies "vacation", doesn't it?

I feel one thing that the "too" should be put with which it modifies, should it not be?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why would someone go "home" on "vacation"? The idea of a vacation is that it's a trip you take away from home!

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
But here on our school vacation, we go home. Because we stay at the hostel and trice a year we have three vacations so on vacations or holidays we visit our homes. our school is combined with our hostel and we walk to school from the hostel itself. And yeah we go also trip on vacation apart from home and we basically call it as trips.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now I understood.
"I, too, want to go home on this vacation." (Someone else is also going) The "too" modifies "I", doesn't it?
"I want to go home on this vacation too." (Perhaps I might have gone home on last vacation but I want to go again) The "too" modifies "vacation", doesn't it?

I feel one thing that the "too" should be put with which it modifies, should it not be?

I, too, want to go home on/for this vacation = I want to go home. Someone else wants to go home as well.
I want to go home on/for this vacation too = Could mean I want to go home and someone else wants to go home as well. Could also mean I want to go hiking, do some shopping, try skydiving during this vacation, and I would like to go home in addition to doing those things.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello there,

I have some problems with adding "too" in sentences.

"I draw some pictures too." In this sentence, I believe that the "too" has modified the "pictures".

If I want to use the "too" to modify "I", how should I write? "I too draw some pictures." like this? But I believe my last context(I too draw some pictures) can also be written like the first one(I draw some pictures too). In this case, I do not understand the "too" modifies which.

Please can you help me to clarify the case?

Thanks.

The word "too" is an adverb. Therefore, it can modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs. In your use, it means "also". As an adverb, it cannot modify "pictures" or "I", no matter where it occurs in the sentence. It modifies the verb "draw".

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Another strange answer. Mike, according to Emrs's anwer the "too" can modify either "I" or "picture" and it depends on its placement. For example, if I write "I, too, draw pictures" here the "too" has modified "I" and if I write "I draw pictures too" here the "too" has modified the "pictures". It was clear for me. But now I am a bit confused about your answer. You say that in my sentence the "too" has modified "draw". But I with the help of Emrs answer, believe that in my first sentence "too" has modified "pictures".

The main problem I have is to place "too" in sentence. Because I believe that it(too) is placed with the word it modifies. Please tell me how it is placed.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I too draw pictures." That means "I draw pictures as do other people."

"I draw pictures too." That may have the same meaning as the first example, but it can also mean "I draw pictures in addition to other things I do."

If you want the first meaning, the first word order is preferable because it is unambiguous. Nevertheless, you will hear the second expression with the first meaning, and you'll just have to work it out from the context.

kite

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That's why I told that English is pretty complicated. I love to learn complicated things because it forces us to think but sometimes thinking too much causes us to have mental disease.:)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another strange answer. Mike, according to Emrs's anwer the "too" can modify either "I" or "picture" and it depends on its placement. For example, if I write "I, too, draw pictures" here the "too" has modified "I" and if I write "I draw pictures too" here the "too" has modified the "pictures". It was clear for me. But now I am a bit confused about your answer. You say that in my sentence the "too" has modified "draw". But I with the help of Emrs answer, believe that in my first sentence "too" has modified "pictures".

The main problem I have is to place "too" in sentence. Because I believe that it(too) is placed with the word it modifies. Please tell me how it is placed.

I have already answered your question. "Too" is an adverb regardless of what anybody has said.

Status
Not open for further replies.