• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Is / Has

I am not sure why I mix them up so badly, but I really embarrass myself a few times.
    When I said someone's left for the day, I thought that means someone "is" left. I did not realize I was wrong until someone replied: "Has he?"

Would you please let me know the usage of HAS and HAVE, so I know the when to use them?

Thanks a lot (BTW, I saw people write "alot" in one word. Is that right?)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Is / Has

Quote Originally Posted by Danix View Post
    I am not sure why I mix them up so badly, but I really embarrass myself a few times.
    When I said someone's left for the day, I thought that means someone "is" left. I did not realize I was wrong until someone replied: "Has he?"

Would you please let me know the usage of HAS and HAVE, so I know the when to use them?

Thanks a lot (BTW, I saw people write "alot" in one word. Is that right?)
    I'm not sure if you meant that you thought that "He is left for the day" is the correct form of the present perfect form of "to leave". If that is what you thought, then there is a simple answer to your question. The present perfect form of all regular verbs is formed using the relevant form of "have".

I leave - I left - I have left
    You leave - You left - You have left
    He/she/it leaves - He/she/it left - He/she/it has left
    etc

If you meant that you simply thought that in that one statement, "He is left" was correct (ie we specifically use "is" with "left") then the answer is just that you misunderstood. "Left" is not an adjective in that context so it couldn't be preceded by "He is".

"Alot" is incorrect. It should be "a lot".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.