Will you teach me real conversation English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven Faces

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have tried to learn English with listening English News for some years.
Now I can understand it rather than ever. But it is formal English, so I can't see the contents in conversation.
Daily English is full of phrase and speaked fast. Then I can't understand their sentences well.
I can't learn those English in conversation. Some are easily obtainable, but many phrases are used in every situation.
Please teach me those English.

acslater017

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For everyday conversational English, I would recommend watching a sitcom (comedy TV show) with the subtitles on. Usually the language is pretty simple and is similar to how people really speak face-to-face. It will also help you pick up on culture, tones, and emotions as well.

Just watch an episode and look up any words/phrases you don't understand. Watch it again. And then if you are ready, watch it without subtitles and see if you understand everything!

I had a friend in college who was learning English, and he loved to watch "Everybody Loves Raymond". :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's not a bad idea, but you need to remember that subtitles (AE closed captions) are meant for the hard of hearing, not language students, and very often are not word-for-word transcriptions of the dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.