• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Further implication of grammar tenses

What would be your immediate impression if you heard someone talking about their sailing experience:

"I managed to be lucky enough to sail in countries all around Europe. I’ve done it for my university, I did it for my country a few times."

I am particularly interested in what additional information could be inferred from the last sentence

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Further implication of grammar tenses

Quote Originally Posted by Esgaleth View Post
    What would be your immediate impression if you heard someone talking about their sailing experience:

"I managed to be lucky enough to sail in countries all around Europe. I’ve done it for my university, I did it for my country a few times."

I am particularly interested in what additional information could be inferred from the last sentence
    My impression is that the sailing was done competitively, on a university team and a national team. The last sentence is a comma splice, and the change of tenses between the two items is a bit strange.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

It's speech, where we make mistakes and say things we wouldn't write, but the use of the present perfect then the past in the second sentence is odd- there's no obvious reason for this.
    Last edited by Tdol; 24-Sep-2013 at 13:37. Reason: Typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    My impression is that the sailing was done competitively, on a university team and a national team. The last sentence is a comma splice, and the change of tenses between the two items is a bit strange.
    Agree, the comma seems a bit out of place. Still, if you heard it said and were not distracted by punctuation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    It's speech, where we make mistakes and say things we wouldn't write, but the use of the present perfect then the past in the second sentence is odd- there's o obvious reason for this.
    If it were not for the comma, if it were an utterance made with proper intonation (which I obviously cannot imitate in writing), would you also consider the choice of grammar tenses irrational?

Someone said that in spoken language, where a clash of overlapping ideas seems only natural, grammar doesn't work the same way it does in writing. From the learner's point of view, an attempt to reconstruct what the speaker might have had in mind could help to get a better understanding of how language works.

So, in terms of what might be implied, would you agree with the following:

“I have done it for my university” explains that you did it just once. But when you say “did it for my country a few times” … probably because it was more than once.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

“I have done it for my university” explains that you did it just once. But when you say “did it for my country a few times” … probably because it was more than once.
    I'd say no. It makes as much sense to say "I did it for my university. I've done it for my country a few times."
    This could imply that he's finished university, but hasn't finished competing for his country. This seems more natural.
    Consider this: "I did it when I was a child and I've done it a few times as an adult." This would sound weird if the tenses were reversed.
    Last edited by Raymott; 24-Sep-2013 at 01:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Agree, the comma seems a bit out of place. Still, if you heard it said and were not distracted by punctuation?

If it were not for the comma, if it were an utterance made with proper intonation (which I obviously cannot imitate in writing), would you also consider the choice of grammar tenses irrational?

Someone said that in spoken language, where a clash of overlapping ideas seems only natural, grammar doesn't work the same way it does in writing. From the learner's point of view, an attempt to reconstruct what the speaker might have had in mind could help to get a better understanding of how language works.

So, in terms of what might be implied, would you agree with the following:

There is nothing about "I have done it" that suggests it was one time.