Would you please help me to identify learner error "non native English students " when using ,USED TO ?
I'm a little unsure as to the question but here are some errors non-natives might make with 'used to'.
- The learner may put not put the infinitive form after 'used to'. e.g. They might say 'used to went' instead of 'used to go'.
- They may confuse 'be used to'+gerund with 'used to'+infinitive which of course have completely different meanings. e.g. We say 'I'm used to seeing' or 'I used to see'.
- In the past simple, the 's' in 'used' has the /z/ sound. In 'used to', it has the /s/ sound. This could get confused or go unnoticed.
- They may incorrectly pronounce the 'ed' ending. They may say /ju:sed/ instead of /ju:st/.
- They may stress the 'to'. It should usually be unstressed and therefore pronounced with a schwa.
Last edited by Pangus; 20-Sep-2013 at 17:31.
Please read this extract from the posting guidlines.
Please don't ask us to do or correct your homework; this is a place to discuss language.