1. wotcha22

The content of the language ...., depending on/ dependent on the relationship ...

"The content of the language is more personal than objective, dependent on/depending on the relationship between speaker and listener."

I wonder whether 'dependent on' is proper and grammatical in this sentence. If it is, is there any differences between 'depending on' and 'dependent on'?

Also, I want to know whether "dependent on..." is a parallel structure with "The content... than objective" or a participial phrase.

Otherwise, are "dependent on..." and "The content... than objective" an apposition structure?
    Last edited by wotcha22; 20-Sep-2013 at 15:16.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The content of the language ...., depending on/ dependent on the relationship ...

Quote Originally Posted by wotcha22 View Post
    "The content of the language is more personal than objective, dependent on/depending on the relationship between speaker and listener."

I wonder whether 'dependent on' is proper and grammatical in this sentence. If it is, is there any differences between 'depending on' and 'dependent on'?

Also, I want to know whether "dependent on..." is a parallel structure with "The content... than objective" or a participial phrase.

Otherwise, are "dependent on..." and "The content... than objective" an apposition structure?
    I would choose "dependent on" in this sentence. It would then be an appositional structure explaining the first part of the sentence.