Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear members of the community,

As a learner of English I faced a phenomenon of using 'up' after verbs. While the using of it is clear for me in the case of collocation (phrasal verb) when the meaning of the verb becomes absolutly different as in the case of 'give' and 'give up', but not always clear in the case of a slight changing or even absence of changing in meaning as in 'open' and 'open up', 'end' and 'end up', 'clear' (= explain) and 'clear up' etc.

If 'Thanks for clearing that up' = 'Thanks for clearing that' then why do you use 'up'?

So, my question is 'Why do you use 'up' so often while it almost doesn't change the meaning'

What does 'up' eventually add to the meaning?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It often adds the idea of completion, but sometimes it does seem to add nothing. Do people never use an unnecessary word in Russian? ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Clear" doesn't mean "explain." It means "remove so that nothing is left, tidy, erase." Clear the table, clear the dance floor, clear the values from the spreadsheet."
"Clear up" means to "make something understood." Thanks for clearing that up for me. Let's see if we can clear up your confusion on this matter.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"So, my question is 'Why do you use 'up' so often while it almost doesn't change the meaning'

What does 'up' eventually add to the meaning?"

To these inconsistent questions: in those cases in which 'up' doesn't change the meaning, 'up' doesn't add anything to the meaning. But it is used because it's become an habitual part of a phrasal verb used with that meaning.
You'll probably also notice that this happens with "off" and some other pronouns.
Also, the usage of these phrasal verbs where there is no meaning change is not common. You've identified one - "open" and "open up"; but that only applies to windows. A person can open up about their problems; they can't open about their problems. 'End' and 'end up' have different meanings.
So basically, the addition of the pronoun does usually change the meaning.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There are certainly superfluous but natural usages of "up". Check on is the same as check up on. Look on is the same as look upon. But there's no need to worry. People will understand you whichever you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.