Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "it" in "getting it" refer to? "What you ask for" or " more frustration, more grieft, more demands on your time" ?
I think the former, but it's confusing conidering the whole context.

62)Many of us spend a great deal of time wishing things were different. We dream of a "better job," les of this, and more of that. Sometimes, the things we spend our energy loging for improve the quality of our life. Other times, however, the very things we wish for are hardly worth the effort. For this reason, I suggest you should be really careful what you ask for. My goal is to remind you to carefully think through what you want, because you just might end up getting it, which is often more than you bargained for - more frustration, more grief, more demands on your time.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does this "it" in "getting it" refer to? "What you ask for" or " more frustration, more grieft, more demands on your time" ?
I think the former, but it's confusing conidering the whole context.

62)Many of us spend a great deal of time wishing things were different. We dream of a "better job," les of this, and more of that. Sometimes, the things we spend our energy loging for improve the quality of our life. Other times, however, the very things we wish for are hardly worth the effort. For this reason, I suggest you should be really careful what you ask for. My goal is to remind you to carefully think through what you want, because you just might end up getting it, which is often more than you bargained for - more frustration, more grieft, more demands on your time.

The "it" refers to "what you ask for". There is an old proverb: Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.