Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello friends,
There are some husbands who are strict with their wives. I want to know whether there is a word to refer to such a man or not. These kind of men are usually found in Islamic countries. I don't mean a bad tempered husband towards his wife. I mean a husband who cares a lot to the way his wife teats with male and the way she wear clothes. For example, look at these characters:

Man saying to his wife: "I don't like you to treat very closely with your male colleagues" - "don't wear tight clothes"

In brief I want a word which refers to a man who doesn't like his wife be or talk so friendly with other males or wear
very tight clothes. (A strict but good husband)

No source/Self made general question

Thank you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He is controlling or domineering.

Nothing in your description says he is a 'good' husband.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is a distinct danger of this thread becoming overly political or religious in nature. What constitutes a "good" husband differs from culture to culture and you are unlikely to find agreement among the users of this forum.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are some husbands who are strict with their wives. I want to know whether there is a word to refer to such a man or not. These kind of men are usually found in Islamic countries. I don't mean a bad tempered husband towards his wife. I mean a husband who cares a lot to the way his wife teats with male and the way she wear clothes. For example, look at these characters:

Man saying to his wife: "I don't like you to treat very closely with your male colleagues" - "don't wear tight clothes"

In brief I want a word which refers to a man who doesn't like his wife be or talk so friendly with other males or wear
very tight clothes. (A strict but good husband

We do have the expression firm but fair, which might be what you're looking for.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks everybody.
Some understood my question and some not. I don't know maybe that was my problem which I didn't clarify my question very well.

Suppose that you are a 22 year old boy and you have a girl friend.
Your girl friend's name is Jennifer.
But sometimes you see your girl friend (Jennifer) talking with other boys and then you get upset when you see it and you go and tell your girlfriend (Jennifer): "Listen, Jennifer I don't like you to to talk with other boys. I hate it and never do that. Because you are my girl friend and it bothers me when you talk so friendly with other boys."
"Jennifer please don't wear those tight clothes because when you wear your tight dresses, boys watch you in a horny way."

Suppose the boy is a husband and the girl is his wife.
I hope you understood me now.
I needed a word to describe such a boy or husband. (who is a little sensitive to his love. In my opinion this is a good character because the man wants to keep his love)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We understand the question but the problem is that in different cultures, the boy's/man's behaviour would be considered differently.

To me, the kind of attitude and behaviour you described is unreasonable, jealous, demanding, demeaning, unacceptable, domineering etc. However, I am an adult female from a Western country where I would not accept anyone (male or female, wife or husband or not) telling me who I can talk to or what I can wear. I make my own decisions.

In some cultures, women are happy/willing to be treated that way so those women would have different adjectives for their boyfriend/husband.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry my friends just one more thing,
I found some websites which relate to my thread. These are the links:
http://community.babycenter.com/post...ur_wifegirletc
Men who do not have protective jealousy over their wives, sisters & daughters then it is the time
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6185843AAMTJvR

These three are almost about "protective" or "protective jealousy"
Are they Ok to be used to refer to the context which I have explained already?
I mean, can we also call that kind of man a "protective" or "protective jealous" or not?:?:

Thank you.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For the last time, none of us would call it "protective" - we'd call it "controlling," or perhaps "pathologically jealous."

We understand your culture is different. But that doesn't mean we terms for what you see as "kind" behavior.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think this thread highlights the inextricable association between language and culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.