Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Ireland
I always have problems when it comes to using articles in English and find it even more difficult when I have to enumerate some things, places etc.
Which of the following sentences are correct (let's imagine I'm asking a hotel employee what facilities they have at their hotel):

- Do you have a swimming pool, a sauna, satellite television and a health spa?
('a' - before countable nouns; no article before 'satellite tv' because it's uncountable)

- Do you have a swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa?
- Do you have swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa?

I sometimes see descriptions of hotels, restaurants where there are no articles. Can I omit them just like I did in some of the sentences above?

Thanks in advance for all the replies :)

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I always have problems when it comes to using articles in English and find it even more difficult when I have to enumerate some things, places etc.
Which of the following sentences are correct (let's imagine I'm asking a hotel employee what facilities they have at their hotel):

- Do you have a swimming pool, a sauna, satellite television and a health spa? Yes.
('a' - before countable nouns; no article before 'satellite tv' because it's uncountable)

- Do you have a swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa? Yes.
- Do you have swimming pool, sauna, satellite tv and health spa? No. You must start with "a" if a singular countable item comes first in the list.
Also

- Do you have satellite tv, a sauna, swimming pool, and a health spa?

I sometimes see descriptions of hotels, restaurants where there are no articles. Can I omit them just like I did in some of the sentences above? Yes; as above.

Thanks in advance for all the replies :)

You can get away with missing out the definite article in spoken English, but not in written English.

marker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Ireland
Now it seems quite understandable :) Having in mind the rules provided by you, I can write the following sentences (correct me if I'm wrong):

- Our guesthouse has rooms with saunas (no articles - plural), a swimming pool (the first item on the list which is singular) and a tennis court (the last item singular).

And what if I mention such things enumerating them one by one using a dash:

Our guesthouse has:
- 5 rooms
- swimming pool (with or without 'a')
- tennis court

etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country