Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

I'm looking for the right English term for a Turkish term "Makina Parkı".

The term denotes the sum of the vehicles, particularly the heavy-duty machinery, owned by a plant or a factory or a municipality. I looked it up in some Turkish-English dictionaries and the answer they give is "equipment pool" but when I search it on the internet the results are not what I've been looking for. The word "fleet" may also not be the answer because I think it refers more to a group of passenger cars.

Thanks for the answers in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Try plant. Meaning 4 below should cover it.

plant /plɑːnt/n
  • the land, buildings, and equipment used in carrying on an industrial, business, or other undertaking or service
  • (as modifier): plant costs
  • a factory or workshop
  • mobile mechanical equipment for construction, road-making, etc
(Collins)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Try plant. Meaning 4 below should cover it.

plant /plɑːnt/n
  • the land, buildings, and equipment used in carrying on an industrial, business, or other undertaking or service
  • (as modifier): plant costs
  • a factory or workshop
  • mobile mechanical equipment for construction, road-making, etc
(Collins)

Hello Rover_KE,

Thanks for the answer. But the definition must exclude any buildings and other irrelevant equipments. Also the fourth definition points out a single vehicle. But the term should correspond the entire fleet of a plant or a factory or a municipality. Let me give you an example. Let's say that a mining company has a quarry and at this quarry they have;

Six excavators,
Nine heavy trucks,
Four backhoe-loaders and,
One blasthole drill,
And the quarry manager says; we have a ...... of twenty heavy-duty vehicles.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm looking for the right English term for a Turkish term "Makina Parkı".

The term denotes the sum of the vehicles, particularly the heavy-duty machinery, owned by a plant or a factory or a municipality. I looked it up in some Turkish-English dictionaries and the answer they give is "equipment pool" but when I search it on the internet the results are not what I've been looking for. The word "fleet" may also not be the answer because I think it refers more to a group of passenger cars.

Thanks for the answers in advance.
"Fleet" is not only used for automobiles. There can be fleets of buses, trucks, and vans. The term used by the US military is motor pool. Motor pool is also used by some government agencies and private companies. "equipment" by itself is not definite enough as "equipment" could also include hand tools and other such devices. I have not heard "equipment pool" used in this context. I researched the term used by CalTrans (California Department of Transportation - the state agency in charge of roadways in the state of California) and they use motor pool. I expect that various companies have different terms for this machinery.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello Gillnetter,

Thank you very much for your answer. I believe that "motor pool" is the exact (or the closest) term that I've been looking for.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're talking about back-hoes and excavators, then I think "equipment pool" is far more suitable than "motor pool" in my opinion.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're talking about back-hoes and excavators, then I think "equipment pool" is far more suitable than "motor pool" in my opinion.
Could be, but having spent years in the transportation business I have never encountered that term. I checked a series of state and county road departments and they all use the term motor pool. It turns out that even IBM uses that term.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Could be, but having spent years in the transportation business I have never encountered that term. I checked a series of state and county road departments and they all use the term motor pool. It turns out that even IBM uses that term.

This is what I love about our forums. First-hand information from the native-speakers and/or the teachers. I checked the English pages of some Turkish construction companies and saw that their translation of the term varies from Machinery to Machinery Park or to Machine Park or to Machine Plant or to Machines Park.

PS: Are my "or to"s above okay? If not, how can I reword it?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is what I love about our forums. First-hand information from the native-speakers and/or the teachers. I checked the English pages of some Turkish construction companies and saw that their translations of the term vary from Machinery to Machinery Park, Machine Park, Machine Plant and Machines Park.

Or "...their translations of the term include Machinery, Machinery Park, Machine Park, Machine Plant and Machines Park."

PS: Are my "or to"s above okay? If not, how can I reword it?

That's how I would manage it. Note the plural "translations".

Status
Not open for further replies.