Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 14
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    To hand asses

    Hallo,
    I'd like to ask the meaning of the expression "to hand asses".

    Thanks

    Stefania

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 21,512
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: To hand asses

    We need to see that in a full sentence, strega.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 14
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: To hand asses

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    We need to see that in a full sentence, strega.
    Ok, Sorry about that.
    Here is the sentence I read:
    "I guess she missed the memo that wed just had our asses
    handed to us".

    Thanks
    Strega

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: To hand asses

    Quote Originally Posted by strega View Post
    Ok, Sorry about that.
    Here is the sentence I read:
    "I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses
    handed to us".

    Thanks
    Strega
    In what context was the sentence used?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 14
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: To hand asses

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    In what context was the sentence used?
    Well, it's a bit complicated. A girl is talking about her vagina. She says that her, the vagina, is always looking for a sexul intercourse wih men, even when the guys does not seem interested. So the vagina keeps on seeking men attention even when the girl is giving up. In this particular case, the girl is blaming herself for being too persistent with a guy, and then she says that instead her vagina is ready to go on to the attack.
    Here a longer paragraph

    A supercop I was not, but my vagina was donning her cape and knee- high red leather boots like she was some kind of superhero, complete with neon blue unitard and
    gold belt with a flaming red C emblazoned on her chest. I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses handed to us.

    Thanks a lot.
    Strega
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 23-Sep-2013 at 14:26. Reason: Sorted out formatting

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: To hand asses

    Quote Originally Posted by strega View Post
    Well, it's a bit complicated. A girl is talking about her vagina. She says that her, the vagina, is always looking for a sexul intercourse wih men, even when the guys does not seem interested. So the vagina keeps on seeking men attention even when the girl is giving up. In this particular case, the girl is blaming herself for being too persistent with a guy, and then she says that instead her vagina is ready to go on to the attack.
    Here a longer paragraph

    A supercop I was not, but my vagina was don-
    ning her cape and knee- high red leather boots like she was
    some kind of superhero, complete with neon blue unitard and
    gold belt with a fl aming red C emblazoned on her chest.
    I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses
    handed to us.

    Thanks a lot.
    Strega
    It doesn't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,984
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: To hand asses

    not a teacher

    To "have your ass handed to you" means to be well beaten in some situation, to lose badly in a contest or encounter of some kind. The longer form is to "have your ass handed to you on a plate".
    Although it's not clear in your example, it's possible that the speaker has failed badly when trying to attract the guy's attention.

    Examples from COCA.

    "He finished 37th […] and the crew members were angry when they rolled the car back onto the hauler. One said, "We got our ass handed to us today, man."

    "He was so humiliated by my performance that he couldn't even look at me. […] Christ almighty, I've just had my ass handed to me by a brainless loser like Jimmy Blogjoy."

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,278
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: To hand asses

    Quote Originally Posted by JMurray View Post
    not a teacher

    To "have your ass handed to you" means to be well beaten in some situation, to lose badly in a contest or encounter of some kind. The longer form is to "have your ass handed to you on a plate".
    Although it's not clear in your example, it's possible that the speaker has failed badly when trying to attract the guy's attention.

    Examples from COCA.

    "He finished 37th […] and the crew members were angry when they rolled the car back onto the hauler. One said, "We got our ass handed to us today, man."

    "He was so humiliated by my performance that he couldn't even look at me. […] Christ almighty, I've just had my ass handed to me by a brainless loser like Jimmy Blogjoy."
    I had never heard the expression before today.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 34,331
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: To hand asses

    I'm familiar with "to have one's ass handed to one on a plate" so I would have got the meaning but I'm not sure it fits the context.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,984
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: To hand asses

    not a teacher

    So the vagina keeps on seeking men's attention even when the girl is giving up.
    "I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses handed to us."

    If my original supposition is correct then I understand this to mean that her vagina, in its enthusiasm to continue the quest, had not noticed that they had already been rejected. Further context may or may not clarify the situation.
    Last edited by JMurray; 23-Sep-2013 at 17:20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Please asses it - I'm preparing for the cae exam. Thank you in advance
    By gomarcin in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2012, 10:30
  2. [Idiom] 'Talk to my hand' vs 'Speak to my hand'
    By Olympian in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2012, 21:29
  3. [Essay] Please check my IELTS essay and asses it
    By ekologic in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2010, 05:32
  4. getting their asses handed to them
    By Tinkerbell in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2010, 21:14
  5. bridge of asses
    By Romel Panzer in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2006, 10:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •