Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Ireland
Hallo,
I'd like to ask the meaning of the expression "to hand asses".

Thanks

Stefania

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We need to see that in a full sentence, strega.

strega

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Ireland
We need to see that in a full sentence, strega.

Ok, Sorry about that.
Here is the sentence I read:
"I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses
handed to us".

Thanks
Strega

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Ok, Sorry about that.
Here is the sentence I read:
"I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses
handed to us".

Thanks
Strega

In what context was the sentence used?

strega

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Ireland
In what context was the sentence used?

Well, it's a bit complicated. A girl is talking about her vagina. She says that her, the vagina, is always looking for a sexul intercourse wih men, even when the guys does not seem interested. So the vagina keeps on seeking men attention even when the girl is giving up. In this particular case, the girl is blaming herself for being too persistent with a guy, and then she says that instead her vagina is ready to go on to the attack.
Here a longer paragraph

A supercop I was not, but my vagina was donning her cape and knee- high red leather boots like she was some kind of superhero, complete with neon blue unitard and
gold belt with a flaming red C emblazoned on her chest. I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses handed to us.

Thanks a lot.
Strega

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Well, it's a bit complicated. A girl is talking about her vagina. She says that her, the vagina, is always looking for a sexul intercourse wih men, even when the guys does not seem interested. So the vagina keeps on seeking men attention even when the girl is giving up. In this particular case, the girl is blaming herself for being too persistent with a guy, and then she says that instead her vagina is ready to go on to the attack.
Here a longer paragraph

A supercop I was not, but my vagina was don-
ning her cape and knee- high red leather boots like she was
some kind of superhero, complete with neon blue unitard and
gold belt with a fl aming red C emblazoned on her chest.
I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses
handed to us.

Thanks a lot.
Strega

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

To "have your ass handed to you" means to be well beaten in some situation, to lose badly in a contest or encounter of some kind. The longer form is to "have your ass handed to you on a plate".
Although it's not clear in your example, it's possible that the speaker has failed badly when trying to attract the guy's attention.

Examples from COCA.

"He finished 37th […] and the crew members were angry when they rolled the car back onto the hauler. One said, "We got our ass handed to us today, man."

"He was so humiliated by my performance that he couldn't even look at me. […] Christ almighty, I've just had my ass handed to me by a brainless loser like Jimmy Blogjoy."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
not a teacher

To "have your ass handed to you" means to be well beaten in some situation, to lose badly in a contest or encounter of some kind. The longer form is to "have your ass handed to you on a plate".
Although it's not clear in your example, it's possible that the speaker has failed badly when trying to attract the guy's attention.

Examples from COCA.

"He finished 37th […] and the crew members were angry when they rolled the car back onto the hauler. One said, "We got our ass handed to us today, man."

"He was so humiliated by my performance that he couldn't even look at me. […] Christ almighty, I've just had my ass handed to me by a brainless loser like Jimmy Blogjoy."

I had never heard the expression before today.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm familiar with "to have one's ass handed to one on a plate" so I would have got the meaning but I'm not sure it fits the context.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

So the vagina keeps on seeking men's attention even when the girl is giving up.
"I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses handed to us."

If my original supposition is correct then I understand this to mean that her vagina, in its enthusiasm to continue the quest, had not noticed that they had already been rejected. Further context may or may not clarify the situation.

Last edited:

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here a longer paragraph

A supercop I was not, but my vagina was donning her cape and knee- high red leather boots like she was some kind of superhero, complete with neon blue unitard and
gold belt with a flaming red C emblazoned on her chest. I guess she missed the memo that we’d just had our asses handed to us.

Thanks a lot.
Strega

How different; how very different, from the home life of our own dear Queen....

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
How different; how very different, from the home life of our own dear Queen....

You never know, Grumpy, you never know.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.