Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi, everyone!

I'm translating an article and having hard time resolving the following issue.

The article is entitled Artistic Life as an Object of Art-study Analysis.

I'm not so sure about the "art-study analysis" part. I know we can say "as an object of sociological analysis", for instance. Here the discipline in question is Sociology. But in my case, the discipline is the Study of Art.

Will it sound wrong if I say "art-study analysis"?
What would be some other ways to put it?

Will these work:

Artistic Life as an Object of Analysis within the Study of Art;
Artistic Life as an Object of Art Analysis.

? I greatly appreciate your help, guys.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, everyone!

I'm translating an article and having hard time resolving the following issue.

The article is entitled Artistic Life as an Object of Art-study Analysis.

I'm not so sure about the "art-study analysis" part. I know we can say "as an object of sociological analysis", for instance. Here the discipline in question is Sociology. But in my case, the discipline is the Study of Art.

Will it sound wrong if I say "art-study analysis"? Yes, if the discipline is called Study of Art. We have a discipline called Art History. That's its name. It would be confusing to call an Art History assignment an assignment in the history of art.
What would be some other ways to put it?

Will these work:

Artistic Life as an Object of Analysis within the Study of Art;
Artistic Life as an Object of Art Analysis.

? I greatly appreciate your help, guys.
I don't think it matters much what you call it as long as you explain what the article is about in the introduction. Also, it might be less confusing if you used fewer capitals (although that depends on your house style).

"Artistic Life as an object of analysis in Study of Art." OR
"The artistic life as a subject for analysis in Study of Art."
Introduction
"This paper explores whether the artistic life is itself an appropriate subject for analysis in Study of Art." - or whatever the aim of the paper is.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I appreciate your help, Raymott. I was just wondering if I have to put "the" in front of "artistic life". The expression is used throughout the paper. For some reason, I've been thinking there is no need to use the article. Please let me know what your take on this is. Thx.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I appreciate your help, Raymott. I was just wondering if I have to put "the" in front of "artistic life". The expression is used throughout the paper. For some reason, I've been thinking there is no need to use the article. Please let me know what your take on this is. Thx.
It doesn't matter what you call it as long as you define it early.
The artistic life - I'd call this the typical life of an artist - if such a thing exists.
Artistic life - hmm, without a context, I would have trouble saying what this means exactly. Does everyone have an artistic life, as they have a love life, or a career life?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It doesn't matter what you call it as long as you define it early.
The artistic life - I'd call this the typical life of an artist - if such a thing exists.
Artistic life - hmm, without a context, I would have trouble saying what this means exactly. Does everyone have an artistic life, as they have a love life, or a career life?

Yes, that's a good point. In this paper, it means the artistic life of society at large. I'm kinda perplexed at the moment. This publication is going to be edited by native speakers later on. I guess I'll just submit it the way it is right now. And later on, after the article is published, I'll just compare the final version with mine. Still, something tells me there is no need to use the article in this case.

Take a look at this (written by Julia Cameron):

Rather than working or living in the now, we indulge in fantasy or daydreams of could’ve, would’ve, should’ve. One misconception of artistic life is constant aimlessness but the truth is it involves great attention (connection).

Here is another one (by Tania Isaac):

Even in our utopic view of what artistic life is or should be, at its best, it’s characterized by what we strive for because we sometimes miss. Wildly. And what we go back to is our most honest intent in being or doing or making.

We can say "in life". So can't we say "in artistic life"?

Although when you say "the artistic life", it reminds me of the old rule they've been teaching us: use the definite article when referring to a class of objects (e.g. The tiger doesn't eat fruit).

Raymott, do you mean something like that?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm about to submit my translation. Did some research into this. Some sources do say "an art analysis of".

For instance:

for an art analysis of this work, read here

Basically, this is what I need. We can say "sociological analysis". But we can't say "artological". In the Russian language, there is an adjective for "sociology" - "sociological" - just like in English. And there is an adjective for "(the) study of art", which is something like "study-of-art" or "art-study". But I can't find this in English.

My final variant of the title will be:

Artistic life as an object of analysis in the study of art.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm about to submit my translation. Did some research into this. Some sources do say "an art analysis of".

For instance:

for an art analysis of this work, read here

Basically, this is what I need. We can say "sociological analysis". But we can't say "artological". In the Russian language, there is an adjective for "sociology" - "sociological" - just like in English. And there is an adjective for "(the) study of art", which is something like "study-of-art" or "art-study". But I can't find this in English.

Sorry, it's out of my field.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It reads well enough to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.