Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What does 'on the landing' mean in this case?

A few weeks earlier, we had been chatting as a family about our tech-life balance and seeing if we could have some non-screen time (NST) – albeit in units of hours rather than days. No screens before school, all mobiles on the landing at night, no calls at meal-times-type agreements. It was working – but could it work better?

(from here: Can our family escape the tyranny of the screen? | Life and style | The Guardian)

Thank you in advance.

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
So, does it mean '(all mobiles) on the area at the top of a set of stairs'???
I looked it up in dictionaries before I posted the question here, but I didn't think that's it.
I thought it's strange to put a mobile at the top of a set of stairs, because I would put it on a table or something in a separate room, not on the floor, if it was me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, does it mean '(all mobiles) on the area at the top of a set of stairs'???
I looked it up in dictionaries before I posted the question here, but I didn't think that's it.
I thought it's strange to put a mobile at the top of a set of stairs, because I would put it on a table or something in a separate room, not on the floor, if it was me.

In many homes, the bedrooms are upstairs from the living areas. This piece might be saying that the children cannot use the mobile phones in the bedroom (too private) but must use them on the landing. This does not mean that the phone has to be on the floor.

herbivorie

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Could there be a small table (for a vase, a home phone, etc.) on the stair landing? If so, that makes sense.
I didn't think of it at first because I'm not used to seeing things placed on stair landings (probably because of the smallness of Japanese houses and frequent earthqueakes here.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, there could.

Status