• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Urgent! Please help ><| "... , ... and ..." or "a .. , a .. and a .."

Hi everyone!

Suppose, during a period of time, I made one British friend, one American friend, and one Japanese friend.

should I say:

1. "I made British, American and Japanese friends."

or 2. "I made a British, an American and a Japanese friend." ?

I'm wondering whether the first one would be interpreted as "I made British friends, American friends and Japanese friends" and gives the feeling that I made more than one friend of each ethnicity. Is there a better alternative to describe such meaning?

The reason I ask this question is, I once worked for one buy-side institution, one sell-side institution and one banking institution. I'm not sure whether I should write "During my internships with buy-side, sell-side and banking institutions" or "During my internships with a buy-side, a sell-side and a banking institution" in my cover letter. I don't want to give the reader a misconception that I worked for more than 1 company of each category. Would you mind sharing with me your opinion on this issue?

Thank you very much!

Jacky

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Urgent! Please help ><| "... , ... and ..." or "a .. , a .. and a .."

Your statement #1 is ambiguous about whether you made more than one of each kind. If it really matters, use #2.

I don't know what "buy-side" or "sell-side" institutions are, but I don't see the harm with your first sentence. Again, if there is some question about how many of which type, that can be handled in a follow up question. Your second sentence seems un-necessarily detailed.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your comment!. I think I will go with the first one then.

Btw, buy-side means those financial institutions that take the role of 'buyers' in the market such as a private equity firm that invests in venture capital firm. sell-side means those that take the role of 'sellers' in the market such as investment banks that provide services and earn commission. A traditional bank is neither because it serves both roles; it provides liquidity and at the same time soaks in liquidity.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ss11311086 View Post
    Hi everyone!

Suppose, during a period of time, I made one British friend, one American friend, and one Japanese friend.

should I say:

1. "I made British, American and Japanese friends."

or 2. "I made a British, an American and a Japanese friend." ?

I'm wondering whether the first one would be interpreted as "I made British friends, American friends and Japanese friends" and gives the feeling that I made more than one friend of each ethnicity. Is there a better alternative to describe such meaning?

The reason I ask this question is, I once worked for one buy-side institution, one sell-side institution and one banking institution. I'm not sure whether I should write "During my internships with buy-side, sell-side and banking institutions" or "During my internships with a buy-side, a sell-side and a banking institution" in my cover letter. I don't want to give the reader a misconception that I worked for more than 1 company of each category. Would you mind sharing with me your opinion on this issue?

Thank you very much!

Jacky
    You could say "I met three friends, British, American, and Japanese.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

so should I say "during my three internships with buy-side, sell-side and banking institutions," instead?