Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I will be learning English till the last day of my life... even if I would start learning it early...

Recently I received the an email from a company I work for. And this is one of the last lines:

"To unsubscribe to page updates, log into your account...."

It does not sound right to me, but I am not sure...
I would rather say:

"To unsubscribe >from< page updates, log into your account...."

"to" seems to be used in about 10% of cases where "unsubscribing to/from something" is being used. ( search engine results/hits )

Thank you,

Mike

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I will be learning English till the last day of my life... even if I would start learning it early...

Recently I received the an email from a company I work for. And this is one of the last lines:

"To unsubscribe to page updates, log into your account...."

It does not sound right to me, but I am not sure...
I would rather say:

"To unsubscribe >from< page updates, log into your account...."

"to" seems to be used in about 10% of cases where "unsubscribing to/from something" is being used. ( search engine results/hits )

Thank you,

Mike

Both are used and a case could be made for either.

Some would choose "to" because the verb it is derived from (subscribe) is always "to".
Others would choose "from" because there is an implied directionality (away from) in the verb.

As you can see from the following Ngram, they are pretty close: Google Ngram Viewer

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As technology requires a lot of new words and forms, things like prepositions are often not fixed at first- one will probably win out over time. I know both are used, but from does seem more logical to me.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As technology requires a lot of new words and forms, things like prepositions are often not fixed at first- one will probably win out over time. I know both are used, but from does seem more logical to me.

It is more logical to me also.

Status
Not open for further replies.