Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,
what would be the antonym for "stronger" in the following sentence, please:
the wind now is stronger than it was a few minutes ago.
thanks a lot.

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,
I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker.
I'd use "weaker", though it can be wrong.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd use "weaker", though it can be wrong.
If you think an a response could be wrong, then please don't post it. Members come to the Ask a Teacher forum in the belief that the answers they receive will be correct.

We don't normally speak of a weak wind. We do speak of a light wind, and it is possible to say that the wind is lighter than it was. We could also say that the wind has lessened, lightened, dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few years ago, a student asked me what the difference was between breeze and wind and I said it was largely a matter of collocation. Following on from that, I drew this diagram. I hope it's of use to someone. ;-)

b

PS My general conclusion was that breezes on the whole were welcoming and winds could be hostile. I was happy with this view for some time, but another student (who came from Las Canarias) pointed out that 'sea breeze' was a collocation; well, maybe he didn't know the collocation, but he was familiar with the use of brisa. So I've been meaning for years to add that, although it doesn't fit in very comfortably with My Scheme! :)

Attachments

• collocations.jpg
    collocations.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 15

jctgf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,
having been studying English for decades now, I still get stuck in some situations.
I kind of knew that "weak" wasn't proper, but just couldn't find the right word. "slower" was the best I could get to and "lighter" sounds perfect.
following the same direction, I can't say a motor is "weak", right? it can be strong, but never weak, correct? would a motor be "less powerful"?
thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'd probably say a motor was under-powered if describing how it suits its task and less powerful in comparison to another.

The new 4 cylinder engine is under-powered for hauling the 3000 pound SUV.

The engine is less powerful than the V6 it replaces.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A few years ago, a student asked me what the difference was between breeze and wind and I said it was largely a matter of collocation. Following on from that, I drew this diagram. I hope it's of use to someone. ;-)

b

PS My general conclusion was that breezes on the whole were welcoming and winds could be hostile. I was happy with this view for some time, but another student (who came from Las Canarias) pointed out that 'sea breeze' was a collocation; well, maybe he didn't know the collocation, but he was familiar with the use of brisa. So I've been meaning for years to add that, although it doesn't fit in very comfortably with My Scheme! :)

I like Bobk's diagram very much. But there's a more specific difference between breeze and wind. According to the internationally-recognised Beaufort Wind Force Scale, a breeze is a sub-set of wind. Depending on their speed, winds are classified into categories from calm [0], through light air [1-3 mph], breezes [4-31 mph] and gales [32-63 mph], to storm [64-75 mph] and, finally, hurricane [76+ mph].

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What would be the antonym for "stronger" in the following sentence, please:
The wind now is stronger than it was a few minutes ago.

Colloquially, we'd say 'The wind's dropped'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.
What would be the antonym for "stronger" in the following sentence, please?

The wind now is stronger than it was a few minutes ago.

Thanks a lot.

Please note the amendments I have made to your post (and those that have been made by other users). It is important to use correct capitalisation and punctuation in written English.

You could use "less strong" or "lighter" depending on what you want to say.

The wind was very strong a few minutes ago. It is less strong now. (This suggests that it is still strong, but not as strong as "very strong".)
The wind was strong a few minutes ago. It is lighter now. (This simply states that there is still a wind, but it's not as strong as it was.)
The wind was light a few minutes ago. It is [even] lighter now. (There is still a wind but now it's lighter than it was.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Another useful collocation is 'the wind has dropped' - that is, it was very strong, but now it's less strong; not a flat calm though.

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say "the wind died down" as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.