[General] to have them check

• Thread starter vaibhavmaskar
  • Start date
  • Views : 3,298
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vaibhavmaskar

I took my car to the garage to have them check the air-conditioner.

"to have them check the air-conditioner. "

which grammar structure used here ?

is "to have" infinitive (subject) form or phrase ?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I took my car to the garage to have them check the air-conditioner.

"to have them check the air-conditioner. "

which grammar structure used here ?

is "to have" infinitive (subject) form or phrase ?

The words "to have" form an infinitive. The entire phrase is an infinitive phrase acting as an adverb modifying the verb "took".

V

vaibhavmaskar

can we say this is a "causative verb structures" like ( I have them check the air-conditioner)
if this possible so what about "I"

thank you

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
can we say this is a "causative verb structures" like ( I have them check the air-conditioner)
if this possible so what about "I"

thank you

It is similar, but an infinitive is not a verb, it is a verbal.

V

vaibhavmaskar

I took my car to the garage to have them check the air-conditioner

Pl. explain in details

Which part of speech is modifying which one in this infinitive clause? (Who modify whom?)

I have seen infinitive structure but this is quite difficult for me because of word “check (acting as a ?) And them with to have combination”

I like to have eggs for breakfast. (It is simple to understand me) as well as In my sense, I have made this two sentence.
1.) I took my car to the garage to check the air conditioner (infinitive)

2.) I took my car to the garage for checking the air conditioner (gerund)

Now you may be understand my confusion.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I took my car to the garage to have them check the air-conditioner

Pl. explain in details

Which part of speech is modifying which one in this infinitive clause? (Who modify whom?)

I have seen infinitive structure but this is quite difficult for me because of word “check (acting as a ?) And them with to have combination”

I like to have eggs for breakfast. (It is simple to understand me) as well as In my sense, I have made this two sentence.

Now you may be understand my confusion.

First of all, there are no infinitive clauses, there are infinitive phrases. There is no verb. An infinitive (phrase) can be a noun or a modifier (adjective or adverb).

Let's look at you sentence: I took my car to the garage to have them check the air-conditioner.

Subject (I) - verb (took) - possessive adjective (my) - direct object (car) - prepositional adverbial phrase (to the garage) - infinitive phrase (to have them check the air conditioner).

The infinitive phrase answers the question "why" you took it. Therefore, it is an adverb that modifoes the verb "took".

V

vaibhavmaskar

"An infinitive phrase is this form of the verb plus any complements or modifiers. (objects and/or modifiers) / It will include objects and/or modifiers"

I am asking about infinitive phrase explanation. "to have them check the air-conditioner.” Which is the object and which is the modifiers

Because “Check “is a simple present verb but I can’t understand its actual meaning here because it is not verbal (checking or checked) acting as adjective or gerund noun.

could you explain this phrase meaning in any different way and first form of verb in phrase ?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

2) doesn't work for me.

V

vaibhavmaskar

I have got the answer in other forum

"Check in the sentence,is infinitives, that is it is non-finite verb forms. The infinitive is often preceded by the particle to, but it is omitted before check in the first sentence, where have conveys the sense of ‘cause to happen’. Other verbs after which to is omitted are make, see, hear and let. "

Status
Not open for further replies.