• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

owing to/thanks to

That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. _______ his salty coffee!

A. Owing to B. Due to C. Thanks to

I think all the three answers mean the same. Is it the case from a native's point of view?

Should we distinguish them?

Thanks!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: owing to/thanks to

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. _______ his salty coffee!

A. Owing to B. Due to C. Thanks to

I think all the three answers mean the same. Is it the case from a native's point of view?

Should we distinguish them?

Thanks!

Jason
    I'm a new English learner, I will go for C.Thanks to

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I think all three mean the same. (Old Fowler used to take umbrage at due to but the way we teach English here, due to is acceptable.) The passage is nevertheless quite puzzling. Is there such a thing as salty coffee? And if so, how on earth does it make anything better?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

The passage is deplorably written, Jason. Where did you encounter it?

chrischai, the questioner asked for a native's point of view. Please wait to read other answers before giving your opinion.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    The passage is deplorably written, Jason. Where did you encounter it?

chrischai, the questioner asked for a native's point of view. Please wait to read other answers before giving your opinion.
    Thank you all!
    This sentence is from a dodgy exercise-book.
    The context is as follows.
    "He met her at a party and invited her to have coffee with him. He was too nervous to say anything. Suddenly he asked the waiter, "Would you please give me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee." Everybody looked at him in surprise, so strange! She asked him curiously, "why do you have this hobby?" He replied, "I used to live near the sea, so I could feel the taste of the sea, just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, I always think of my childhood. I miss my hometown so much. I miss my parents who are still living there." While he was saying this, tears filled his eyes. She was deeply touched. Then she started to speak about her faraway hometown, her childhood and her family.
    That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. ______his salty coffee! They fell in love and got married"

When I did the exercise, I doubted whether there is only one answer. So I refer it to you. Now your answer has confirmed my suspicion that this question is totally meaningless.

Thanks!

Jason

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlulu_2000 View Post
    Thank you all!
    This sentence is from a dodgy exercise-book.
    The context is as follows.
    "He met her at a party and invited her to have coffee with him. He was too nervous to say anything. Suddenly he asked the waiter, "Would you please give me some salt? I'd like to put it in my coffee." Everybody looked at him in surprise, so strange! She asked him curiously, "why do you have this hobby?" He replied, "I used to live near the sea, so I could feel the taste of the sea, just like the taste of the salty coffee. Now every time I have the salty coffee, I always think of my childhood. I miss my hometown so much. I miss my parents who are still living there." While he was saying this, tears filled his eyes. She was deeply touched. Then she started to speak about her faraway hometown, her childhood and her family.
    That was a really nice talk, also a beautiful beginning of their story. ______his salty coffee! They fell in love and got married"

When I did the exercise, I doubted whether there is only one answer. So I refer it to you. Now your answer has confirmed my suspicion that this question is totally meaningless.

Thanks!

Jason
    The whole thing is meaningless. In addition, it should be "... a beautiful beginning to their story". I have no idea what the book thinks is meant to go in the gap before "... his salty coffee".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

I think "Thanks to his salty coffee, they fell in love and got married" makes a sort of strange sense, but I agree that the whole thing is very badly written.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I think "Thanks to his salty coffee, they fell in love and got married" makes a sort of strange sense, but I agree that the whole thing is very badly written.
    I agree. When did putting salt in coffee become a hobby?