Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Suppose that there is a multiple choice option test.
The options are called "answers" but what about the question itself? What does it called in English?

For example look at this test:

1_ The missing child was last seen …….. in a park.

a) sleeping
b) sleep
c) sleeps
d) slept

As you know (a, b, c, d) are called "answers or responses" but what about the test or sentence itself in number one? What is it called in exams? Is it called "direction" or "instructions" or "question" or "sentence" or "introduction" what?

For example, suppose that you are a teacher and you have given some exam sheets to your students and you
tell them: "Listen up guys, please first read the answers and then .......(number 1) I don't know what it is called.

I hope you understood me.
Thank you

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd call it sentence number 1.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can we also say like this: "Guys please first read the answers then the tests" :?:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Listen up guys, please first read the answers and then .......(number 1)
Well, I wouldn't say 'Listen up', and I wouldn't address my class as 'guys'.

In this exercise, pick the most suitable word or phrase from the options given to put in the gaps.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure why you want them to read the answers and then the test question. Surely they should understand the instructions for the test and then proceed to the actual test. My advice would be for them to read sentence number 1, then look at the four options to go in the space and then attempt the answer. They would then move on to number 2, doing the same thing - reading the sentence, then the four options and then attempting to complete the sentence.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Suppose that there is a multiple choice option test.
The options are called "answers" but what about the question itself? What does it called in English?

For example look at this test:

1_ The missing child was last seen …….. in a park.

a) sleeping
b) sleep
c) sleeps
d) slept

As you know (a, b, c, d) are called "answers or responses" but what about the test or sentence itself in number one? What is it called in exams? Is it called "direction" or "instructions" or "question" or "sentence" or "introduction" what?

For example, suppose that you are a teacher and you have given some exam sheets to your students and you
tell them: "Listen up guys, please first read the answers and then .......(number 1) I don't know what it is called.

I hope you understood me.
Thank you
The choices are "potential answers" or options, as you have rightly identified them.
The first line is not a question; it's a problem, for which one of the choices is a valid solution.
The question, or instruction, is "Choose the most appropriate option for the sentence." In this case, that's not a question, but a directive, or imperative.

Status
Not open for further replies.