[General] didn't get you or don't get you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan69

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I have a doubt regarding the usage of below mentioned sentences and their context.

I don't get you.
I didn't get you.

How and when to use which sentence? I mean, if we don't understand what a person is saying to whom we are

speaking? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I have a doubt regarding the usage of below mentioned sentences and their context.

I don't get you.
I didn't get you.

How and when [strike]to[/strike] should I use which sentence? I mean (no comma required) if we don't understand what a person is saying to whom we are speaking. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

If I didn't understand what someone said to me, I would say "I'm sorry. I didn't understand that. Could you explain it a different way?" If I simply didn't hear what they said, I would say "I'm sorry, I didn't hear/catch that. Could you repeat it please?"

Although "to get" can be used to mean "to understand", it doesn't really work in the sentences you suggested.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it's an AmE thing. "I don't get you" usually means "I don't understand what you're talking about". It could also mean "I find your behavior confusing or inconsistent". Another way to say it, at least in AmE, is "Sorry, I don't follow". I can't think of too many situations where you would use these phrases in the past tense.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "I don't get it" to show that I didn't understand a concept someone had just explained to me, but not "I don't get you" to mean that I didn't understand what that person said.

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's just a lazy way of saying "I don't get what you mean/what you are saying".

Status
Not open for further replies.