• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

My library is not a single beast

Is "beast" in "My library is not a single beast" a metaphor of the writer himself? Or is "beast" a generally used metaphor in English? The writer is a Spanish speaker, so it could have been translated from an original Spanish word.
    *Sorry for the unorganized part, extracted from a material.

12)As companions of the long hours together, the books I have read are part of my life. They also serve as markers of the roads I have taken and will take in life. While) they constantly guide me in my profession as a writer, it is natural that they occupy me and my home." For the last several years, I [lived/have lived]4) in an old stone house in southwestern France, in a village of fewer than 10 houses. I chose the place because next to the 15th-century house itself was a barn [enough large/large enough]5) to [accommodate/accompany]6) my library of some 30,000 books, [assembling/assembled]7) over six decades. My library is not a single beast but a collection of many beasts. It is a fantastic animal [making/made]9) up of several libraries. It was built and then [abandoned/abounded]10), over and over again, throughout my life. I cannot remember a time when I did not have a library of some sort. My library is a sort of multilayered autobiography, each book [holding/held]12) the moment [which/in which]13) I opened it for the first time. The [scribbles/subscribes]14) on the margins, the occasional date on

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: My library is not a single beast

beast = thing

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My library is not a single beast

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Is "beast" in "My library is not a single beast" a metaphor of the writer himself? Or is "beast" a generally used metaphor in English? The writer is a Spanish speaker, so it could have been translated from an original Spanish word.
    *Sorry for the unorganized part, extracted from a material.

12)As companions of the long hours together, the books I have read are part of my life. They also serve as markers of the roads I have taken and will take in life. While) they constantly guide me in my profession as a writer, it is natural that they occupy me and my home." For the last several years, I [lived/have lived]4) in an old stone house in southwestern France, in a village of fewer than 10 houses. I chose the place because next to the 15th-century house itself was a barn [enough large/large enough]5) to [accommodate/accompany]6) my library of some 30,000 books, [assembling/assembled]7) over six decades. My library is not a single beast but a collection of many beasts. It is a fantastic animal [making/made]9) up of several libraries. It was built and then [abandoned/abounded]10), over and over again, throughout my life. I cannot remember a time when I did not have a library of some sort. My library is a sort of multilayered autobiography, each book [holding/held]12) the moment [which/in which]13) I opened it for the first time. The [scribbles/subscribes]14) on the margins, the occasional date on
    Unless there is a translation error, "beast" appears to a metaphor for "book", prompted by his/her storing books in a barn. Later on in the piece is a strange use of the word "animal". If the metaphor was intended to be continued, the word "animal" was possibly meant to be "menagerie". Please note that "beast" is not a common metaphor for "book".