Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Suppose that I am a poor person but suddenly I become rich by sudden change and I don't know how to spend my money. I spend the wealth on strange things and people get surprised that why Sb spends his money like that? He spends his money or treats with others as if he didn't ever see money.
I need a word to describe such a person. I have found some but I am not sure If they are used among native English speakers or not.

Look at these three words which I have found:

parvenu
upstart
nouveau riche

What's your opinion about the three words? You know any other word better than them? If you were me which word you would like to choose or say to describe such a person?
I want a word which is disapproval.

Suppose that I am from a middle class family. Our income is normal. But suddenly I get a lot of money from a bank lottery. Accordingly I become rich but I spend the won money rudely or wildly or ridiculously and I show off myself and I get proud I get always drunk because I have never experienced a lot of money and I don't have capacity to spend the money calmly. When you see me doing these things you deride me in your heart and you feel sorry that why is Sb treating people like this? Why Sb reacts or treats like this? He acts as if he hasn't ever seen money.

(Sometimes when villagers come to the cities and see the technology, they treat the technology as if they have come to city from other planet and hasn't seen anything)

I hope you understood me now.

No source/Self made general question
Thank you

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For me, parvenu/nouveau riche do not necessarily imply spending like this- having recently acquired the wealth that places them in this new class, they could be spending money in a different way from the people who haven't accepted them properly. It's more about class than spending patterns. Upstart doesn't fit.

You could say that the money has gone to his head.

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
The relative pronoun in your title should be 'who.'

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Suppose that I am a poor person but suddenly I become rich by sudden change and I don't know how to spend my money. I spend the wealth on strange things and people get surprised that why Sb spends his money like that? He spends his money or treats with others as if he didn't ever see money.
I need a word to describe such a person. I have found some but I am not sure If they are used among native English speakers or not.

Look at these three words which I have found:

parvenu
upstart
nouveau riche

What's your opinion about the three words? You know any other word better than them? If you were me which word you would like to choose or say to describe such a person?
I want a word which is disapproval.

Suppose that I am from a middle class family. Our income is normal. But suddenly I get a lot of money from a bank lottery. Accordingly I become rich but I spend the won money rudely or wildly or ridiculously and I show off myself and I get proud I get always drunk because I have never experienced a lot of money and I don't have capacity to spend the money calmly. When you see me doing these things you deride me in your heart and you feel sorry that why is Sb treating people like this? Why Sb reacts or treats like this? He acts as if he hasn't ever seen money.

(Sometimes when villagers come to the cities and see the technology, they treat the technology as if they have come to city from other planet and hasn't seen anything)

I hope you understood me now.

No source/Self made general question
Thank you

The word "spendthrift" comes to mind. As a phrase, one could say "he spends like a drunken sailor".

Status
Not open for further replies.