Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Suppose that I and my girl friend are walking on a street talking to each other.
After 2 hour talking we are going to leave each other and go home. I take her a taxi and I walk to my home myself.
While she is in the taxi, I send her a text message: (I am worry about her)

"Hi honey, give me a message when you get home"
"Hi honey, send me a message when you arrive home"
"Hi honey, send me a message when you return home"
"Hi honey, let me know by an SMS when you are at home"

I don't know how you native English speakers say it.:cry:
If you were me, how would you say it?

No source / Self made general question
Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd just write Text when you get home.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Let me know when you get home.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Suppose that my girlfriend and I are walking on a street talking to each other.
After talking for 2 hours we are going to leave each other and go home. I take her to a taxi and I walk [STRIKE]to my [/STRIKE] home [STRIKE] myself[/STRIKE].
While she is in the taxi, I send her a text message: (I am worried about her)

"Hi honey, give me a message when you get home"
"Hi honey, send me a message when you arrive home"
"Hi honey, send me a message when you return home"
"Hi honey, let me know by an SMS when you are at home"

I don't know how you native English speakers say it.:cry:
If you were me, how would you say it?

No source / Self made general question
Thank you

See corrections above.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I take her to a taxi and I walk [STRIKE]to my [/STRIKE]home [STRIKE] myself[/STRIKE].

My first question: Are you sure that it's incorrect to say?: "I take her a taxi":?: I take you a taxi. I take Jennifer a taxi.
I take him a taxi.
(I mean I find her a taxi on the street) Then why it's incorrect to say like that?

My second question: You have said that: "Walk to my home" is incorrect. If it is incorrect, then why in my English book it is written: "Walk to the mall"
I mean if "walk to the mall" is correct then why "walk to my home" is incorrect? Aren't the structures same?

Thanks for the corrections Mike. I appreciate it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My first question: Are you sure that it's incorrect to say?: "I take her a taxi":?: I take you a taxi. I take Jennifer a taxi.
I take him a taxi.
(I mean I find her a taxi on the street) Then why it's incorrect to say like that?

My second question: You have said that: "Walk to my home" is incorrect. If it is incorrect, then why in my English book it is written: "Walk to the mall"
I mean if "walk to the mall" is correct then why "walk to my home" is incorrect? Aren't the structures same?

Thanks for the corrections Mike. I appreciate it.

None of your "taxi" alternatives work. You could "call" her a taxi, or "hail" her a taxi, but not "take" her a taxi.

"Walk to my home" is not wrong, but "walk home" is simpler and more natural. We cannot say "walk mall".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I take him a taxi.
Very sure. If you take someone a taxi it means you carry it to them, presumably as a present. You can find, get or call her a taxi.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can only "take a taxi" yourself. You cannot "take a taxi someone else". You can "get" someone a taxi, or "call" someone a taxi, or "hail" someone a taxi, but you simply cannot take her/you/Jennifer/him a taxi. Sorry, but that's the way it is in the English language.

"Walk to my home" is not grammatically incorrect, but no-one ever says that. We all express it as "walk home". It's because home is a particular place. Thus, We walk to the mall, we walk to the shops, and we walk to the harbour. We often miss out the "the", and walk to church, or walk to school; but we always walk home.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But you can get her a taxi.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But you can get her a taxi.
If you can get her a taxi, you can take her a taxi. You can wrap it up in a ribbon and present her with a taxi. (But we're getting away from normal usage now. This does not apply to finding a taxi to take you home in.)

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you can get her a taxi, you can wrap it up in a ribbon and present her with a taxi.
Do you mean "to get some one a taxi" does not mean "to call some one a taxi" ?:?:
But in some posts, your friends mentioned that we can say "to get some one a taxi." Isn't it?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Do you mean "to get some one a taxi" does not mean "to call some one a taxi" ?:?:
But in some posts, your friends mentioned that we can say "to get some one a taxi." Isn't it?
No, I don't mean that. It was an irrelevant observation that I now regret. Forget it.
However, I can emphatically state that "to get someone a taxi" need not mean "to call someone a taxi" just as "To call someone a scoundrel" does not necessarily mean "to get someone a scoundrel".
This wordplay may be beyond your level, but I think it's worth being aware that phrases and sentences don't always have only one meaning, and this is why we are constantly reminding learners of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.