Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm having hard time translating a little collocation from Russian into English.

In Russian, there is a word combination ("с учётом" (s uchyotom)) that means "taking into account". The problem is it's sometimes inconvenient to use it in English texts. I've done some research and come up with three synonyms for this phrase:

"inclusive of", "with allowance for", and "considering".

Here's the sentence I need to use it in:

The article proposes multi-period models for optimizing the project portfolio as part of the development program inclusive of the corporate social responsibility of the institution.

The author means that they're going to take CSR into account when working on getting the project portfolio optimized.
Which phrase fits this sentence best?

I appreciate your help.

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How about, "accounts for"? I'm not sure I interpret as part of the development program correctly, but I think it should be either "and accounts for" or ", which accounts for". Or perhaps ", while accounting for".

As a side note, I think it's a bit redundant to use "corporate" given that you use "institution" after that.

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Novalia, I appreciate your input. The thing is there is a set term "corporate social responsibility" (you can find it online). In any case, "while accounting for" sounds all right, although I'm still inclined to use one of the terms above. Just want to know which one is the best.

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Novalia, I appreciate your input. The thing is there is a set term "corporate social responsibility" (you can find it online). In any case, "while accounting for" sounds all right, although I'm still inclined to use one of the terms above. Just want to know which one is the best.

Personally I wouldn't use any of the options you listed. They all sound nonsensical to me.

I'm already aware of "corporate social responsibility." If you're adamant about using "corporate," then remove "of the institution." This is like saying "the corporate responsibility of the corporation." Alternatively, you could change "institution" to "industry."

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Novalia, what would be your version of this sentence:

The article proposes multi-period models for optimizing the project portfolio as part of the development program inclusive of/with allowance for/considering the institution's corporate social responsibility.

?

I appreciate it.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
One more thing. They are talking about universities, not companies. I'm not really worried about CSR at the moment. Just need a compact way to express "taking into account".

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The article proposes different multiperiod models for optimizing the project portfolio as part of the development program, while complying with the institution's corporate social responsibility.

Alternatively you could use ", without" and follow it up with an antonym.

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, this looks good. Although I must say that corporate social responsibility is like a parameter of a function here. That's why I'm trying to get something to replace "taking into account" with.

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How about, "while respecting the" then?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How about, "while respecting the" then?

I'm having trouble with both "respecting" and "complying with" corporate social responsibility. I don't think we respect or comply with responsibility. I don't think you can do better than "taking into account" in this particular context. Others may well disagree.

Novalia

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yeah, I was originally going to suggest adding "programme" or "philosophy" at the very end.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think you can do better than "taking into account" in this particular context. Others may well disagree.
I don't.

I haven't taken part in this discussion so far because I was trying to think of something better - without success.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'll definitely write this one down in my vocabulary book. But, in general, what's wrong with the ones I've adduced? Are you suggesting that none of them is used in English? I've checked hundreds of pages on websites run by native speakers. They do use the first two extensively. The malaise of my not being a native speaker consigns me to the fate of someone who has to supplicate native speakers to weigh the usage of certain collocations on the strength of what they have learned thus far in terms of speaking their native tongue.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
To give you a better idea of what it is, I'll provide the title of the article:

Multi-period models for optimizing an institution’s project portfolio inclusive of risks and corporate social responsibility.

Can we say "with allowance for" here? Or can I just stick with "inclusive of"? Or is "considering" all right? Or should I just go with "taking into account"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'll definitely write this one down in my vocabulary book. But, in general, what's wrong with the ones I've adduced? Are you suggesting that none of them is used in English? I've checked hundreds of pages on websites run by native speakers. They do use the first two extensively. The malaise of my not being a native speaker consigns me to the fate of someone who has to supplicate native speakers to weigh the usage of certain collocations on the strength of what they have learned thus far in terms of speaking their native tongue.
The problem is that the language of abstracts is condensed, artificial and, except to those who are very knowledgeable in the field, often difficult for most native speakers to understand completely.

All I can say, personally, is that 'taking into account' seems to fit best. 'Allowing for' is a possibility, though it doesn't have quite the right ring to it. I cannot say that your 'inclusive of', 'with allowance for', and 'considering' are incorrect, but they don't seem very natural to me.

I realise that that is not very helpful, but it's the best I can do. I don't think the problem has much to do with your not being a native speaker; it's more that you may not have a great deal of experience of abstracts in this field. I, a native speaker and pretty experienced teacher, do not do proofreading/correction work on abstracts and academic papers precisely because, while I may not be happy with the language used by the writers, native as well as non-native, I find it very difficult to come up with acceptable alternatives.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Allowing for" seems to me to be saying that space should be made for the CSR, rather than ensuring that the aspects of the CSR are adhered to. It almost smacks of "despite" to me.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Allowing for" seems to me to be saying that space should be made for the CSR, rather than ensuring that the aspects of the CSR are adhered to. It almost smacks of "despite" to me.
Sir, what do you feel about "inclusive of" in that context?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Pssst, Bennevis.

1. We don't need to be addressed as 'Sir' or Madam in this forum.
2. If we did, you'd need a 'Madam' for ems.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It just might be the jargon they use.

Lou Sagar (USA):

The paradigm shift in what we associate with style and success, is moving quickly to incorporate "awareness" to social issues and sustainability practices. Profits must be optimized inclusive of these shifts, not simply maximized for short term gain. The math must change in how companies calculate earning a "profit".

Status
Not open for further replies.