• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Post My grammar mistakes

Hello everyone, I am a college student who studies English for now. I want to be good in grammar but being good in grammar needs experience and also it is up to seeing your mistakes, so I hope usingenglish can help me on my way.
    Here are the my questions about tenses.

According to studies, the recent trend of keeping maiden names after marriage is quite widespread and ________(cause) any major problems in marriages at the moment.

I said isn't causing but the answer is doesn't cause.

I think that the red colored text is giving us the clue, therefore i wrote the verb in present continuous tense.

Women ________(use) their maiden names increasingly since the 1970's.

I said have used but the answer is have been using

Okay, this can be written by using present perfect continuous tense, no problem, but also present perfect tense is sounds good to me.

Throughout the first few months of their marriage, Jeff and Donna _________(spend) most of their conversation time discussing their expectations from each other and from the marriage itself...

I said will have spent but the answer is will spend.

I don't know but both of these sounds good to me,however, i am wrong again.

By the way I am a student as I said before, if I can learn what I am doing wrong then I might improve my English, so I am asking for your helps.
    If you have suggestions for me to understand tenses better, I am listening to you carefully.
    Last edited by murattopak; 30-Sep-2013 at 16:57.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: My grammar mistakes

Welcome to the forum, murattopak.
    Quote Originally Posted by murattopak View Post
    According to studies, the recent trend of keeping maiden names after marriage is quite widespread and ________(cause) any major problems in marriages at the moment.

I said isn't causing but the answer is doesn't cause.

I think that the red colored text is giving us the clue, therefore i wrote the verb in present continuous tense.
    Both forms are correct.
    Women ________(use) their maiden names increasingly since the 1970's.

I said have used but the answer is have been using

Okay, this can be written by using present perfect continuous tense, no problem, but also present perfect tense is sounds good to me.
    I would probably use the progressive/continuous form, but I would not say that the non-progressive form was incorrect.
    Throughout the first few months of their marriage, Jeff and Donna _________(spend) most of their conversation time discussing their expectations from each other and from the marriage itself...

I said will have spent but the answer is will spend.
    Both forms (and several others) are acceptable.

The problem with this type of exercise is that the writer has one idea in mind, and ignores the fact that others may be acceptable.

ps. Don't forget to use a capital letter for the pronoun I.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Welcome to the forum, murattopak. Both forms are correct. I would probably use the progressive/continuous form, but I would not say that the non-progressive form was incorrect.Both forms (and several others) are acceptable.

The problem with this type of exercise is that the writer has one idea in mind, and ignores the fact that others may be acceptable.

ps. Don't forget to use a capital letter for the pronoun I.
    Thanks for your quick answer, it has really relaxed me to hear my thought from you.
    I have some other questions like this, should I post them into this topic or start a new topic for all of them?
    Also thanks for your suggestion about "I" .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by murattopak View Post
    Thanks for your quick answer, it has really relaxed me to hear my thought from you.
    I have some other questions like this, should I post them into this topic or start a new topic for all of them?
    Please start a new thread for each new question and only ask one question per thread. Things get very confused otherwise.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Please start a new thread for unrelated topics. If you have follow-up questions on the three sentences you asked about in your first post, submit them here.